Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Rohit Yadav <bh...@apache.org> on 2013/06/25 11:48:27 UTC

[DISCUSS][VOTE] Moving cloudmonkey to its own repository, have its own release process

Based on the previous discussion thread [1], we are proposing to move
cloudmonkey to a separate git repository as it really does not depend on
any of the core repo contents and to speed up its review, release
processes. Using git/prune I separate tools/cli as a git repository so as
to retain cloudmonkey's version history and David helped create this git
repository:
 https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/cloudstack-cloudmonkey.git

Any CloudStack committer will have same rights on this repo as well.

This thread fixes the email subject [1] and aims to attract people to
review the license, docs, code and anything else on this repo before David
will make this repo writable. David suggests this is to "ensure everyone
agrees that this is an accurate representation of what's in tools/cli".

We can come up with the process details later too. To keep it simple, I'm
proposing;

- Fast releases: Since cloudmonkey's releases may not be periodic, they
should be done whenever we have a suitable candidate with fixes or features
to be released
- Releases on pypi, which makes it simple. Signed tarballs etc. just like
CloudStack.
- Independent of CloudStack releases, all cloudmonkey releases should
support CloudStack 4.0+ releases and broken backward compatibilities should
be handled internally. Latest cloudmonkey release should always be ahead of
developing CloudStack release, i.e. to say you always have and support the
latest and the greatest.

[1] http://markmail.org/thread/rgemstk42o7o4q55

Cheers.

Re: [DISCUSS][VOTE] Moving cloudmonkey to its own repository, have its own release process

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@gmail.com>.
Sorry, I did not have bandwidth to reply but now. Just to update people on
this; in our next steps

- Remove tools/cli from cloudstack's repo and fix README and link to the
cloudmonkey repo, inform users, devs
- Write a wiki on cloudmonkey's release process, which is around "ship
fast, break things"
- Release cloudmonkey whenever there are changes

Regards.

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@gmail.com>.
Thanks David.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by Rohit Yadav <bh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rohit Yadav <bh...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
Rohit:

Posted by Rohit Yadav <bh...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by Rohit Yadav <bh...@apache.org>.
Looks good, .gitignore, Makefile, README and LICENSE were added on the new
git repo as they were needed and did not exit in tools/cli; pom.xml was
removed on the new repo as it was not needed instead we have a simple
Makefile.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by Ahmad Emneina <ae...@gmail.com>.
+1 to lazine