Posted to users@continuum.apache.org by srinivas ramgopal <sk...@yahoo.com> on 2007/02/03 03:17:40 UTC

continum newbie questions

Hi all,

Since I am new to continum, I have few basic questions about the basic
mechanism of continum and its relationship to Maven/remote repository:

As far as I understand, the purpose of continum is to run the integration
tests (somehow) whenever a file is modified/added in the associated source
control tool (ex. PVCS, CVS).

Then why does Continum need Maven?
Also does Continum depend on a company's remote repository?  If so, why?

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Re: continum newbie questions

Posted by Rahul Thakur <ra...@gmail.com>.
Continuum needs Maven to build projects that use Maven POM (Project
Object Model). It would need Ant to build Ant based projects, Maven 1 to
build projects that use Maven 1 POM so on and so forth...

Dependency on a company's remote repo would depend on the dependencies
that your project(s) use. If they are internal and published to and
available off a company repo, then there is a dependency on internal
repo.

If you have not already, I think it would help to read Maven docs here:
http://maven.apache.org/guides/getting-started/index.html
http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-configuring-maven.html

Cheers,
Rahul

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>.
srinivas ramgopal a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> Since I am new to continum, I have few basic questions about the basic
> mechanism of continum and its relationship to Maven/remote repository:
>
> As far as I understand, the purpose of continum is to run the integration
> tests (somehow) whenever a file is modified/added in the associated source
> control tool (ex. PVCS, CVS).
>
> Then why does Continum need Maven?

continuum doesn't require maven. maven is required only if you use maven projects in continuum.

> Also does Continum depend on a company's remote repository?  If so, why?

continuum use a remote repo (defined in your poms or settings.xml) only for maven projects.