Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by bmarvell <ma...@gmail.com> on 2007/09/05 11:47:18 UTC

JavaScript Frameworks

Hello all,

This is my first post so please be gentle ;)

I'm a user interface developer (no Java) working on what will inevitably be
a fairly heavy Ajax wicket project. After looking at a number of Ajax
examples and pre built widgets I have to say I'm a little puzzled! Why does
wickets core JS framework not use one of the main JS frameworks that are
available such as jQuery, Dojo or Prototype? I believe you have a hand
rolled version of mootools (although I may be wrong). Do the Wicket core
team plan on supporting and enriching this hand rolled framework alone?
Surely it would make more sense to choose one of the main JS frameworks that
have dedicated teams of devs supporting it?

Also I've found that Ajax widgets in wicket seem quite "here and there" in
their implementation. Some demos use prototype, some use YUI (a datepicker
for example). Doesnt this go against what JS frameworks are trying to
provide? Choosing a decent framework such as jQuery or Prototype will give
the developer a solid toolkit on which they can build, so extra components
such as datepickers or custom widgets can be applied as "Plugins". Sticking
to one framework reduces hits to the server, bandwidth, load and processing
times all of which imho are good things.

My worry at the moment is that the demos in wicket are very "lets get it
working on the frontend" and not "lets think about a framework and its rich
functionality".

SO to summarize :) are there any thoughts about using a single, supported
framework in wicket and moving forward from there?

Cheers,

Ben

Re: JavaScript Frameworks

Posted by Gerolf Seitz <ge...@gmail.com>.
i'm not able to give you a deep insight answer on this, but rather what i
picked up on this topic:

@choosing one major JS framework:
i guess the core-devs didn't want to bet all their money on a single horse
(except maybe if it's their own ;) ).
then also some have a preference for a specific JS framework, others for
another one, so which one should be chosen? decisions aren't only grounded
on hard facts.
and not every license is compatible with ASL2.0 (damn license issues).

@dedicated devs supporting their JS framework:
while this (outsourcing) may sound good at first sight, when it comes to
getting a certain bug fixed or a wicket-specific feature added will probably
not be that much fun. and i'm not even talking about waiting for a stable
version to be released. what if a new version gets released that fixes a
major bug but breaks other stuff?
having control over something that lives in the core of wicket (meaning the
wicket project) is rather crucial, i think. of course this also means
putting a lot of effort into it (wicket-ajax.js has about 1900 loc). i guess
matej and igor could elaborate more on this.

please, anybody correct me if i got it wrong ;)

gerolf

Re: JavaScript Frameworks

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.
in reality wicket _does not_ ship with a javascript framework, all the
javascript that ships with wicket is meant for internal use only.

we did in fact start out with prototype, or ricoh, or one of those big
players as the back end, but we immediately ran into several issues:

these libs do not namespace themselves, so if we use prototype our users can
never use mootools or jquery because they are incompatible.

wicket ajax is very different, these libs are centered around making an ajax
request and sending back data, then applying that data to the dom through
client-written js. wicket requests send back markup that is then plugged in
- a totally different and completely transparent concept. and as matej
mentioned we have built, out of necessity, some pretty advanced features
that other libs do not provide.

we have namespaced all of our javascript so it does not interfere with
anything, which leaves you with unlimited choice of mixing and matching
other js libs in your code.

what this allows us to do is to mix and match components. yes, it would be
nice if we could all agree on a single js lib and build out a complete suite
of components based on it, but we have not yet. our users have started
building out these suites in projects like wicketstuff-yui,
wicketstuff-dojo, etc.

-igor

Re: JavaScript Frameworks

Posted by Sam Hough <sa...@redspr.com>.
Johan,

We have been "shopping" for components recently and also worried about
JavaScript/DOM bloat. The wicket-datetime jar uses YUI (Yahoo I think) and
we decided not to use it as we were not sure we wanted to commit to YUI.

We have customers in Africa using our servers in the UK. Since their
bandwidth may be very poor reducing the amount they have to download is
important. It may be fine once cached but it is hard to get past that
initial impression that because the browser is downloading two or three
libraries on first use it seems slow. Sales team are keen on this for demos!

Almost a bigger worry for me was trying to debug obscure issues when more
than one library has started messing with the DOM...

I'm a bit fussy about jar bloat (used Alfresco recently!) but JS library
bloat is obviously more of a performance issue. At least we don't have to
worry about logging APIs ;)

Re: JavaScript Frameworks

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.

Re: JavaScript Frameworks

Posted by bmarvell <ma...@gmail.com>.
This is true but as you're actively checking JavaScript framework bits in I
thought I'd ask if you have any plans to pick one framework and stick with
it.

I've already spotted some YUI bits and now animation.js is going in it just
feels a little scattered...

Especially when the animations and other common widgets are all available
through one framework be it YUI, jQuery or Prototype...

I can see the need for wickets custom Ajax stuff so maybe there should be a
real push to use another framework for all the widget/visual representation.

Then my users wont need to download wicket-ajax + YUI + animation.js when I

Re: JavaScript Frameworks

Posted by Matej Knopp <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: JavaScript Frameworks

Posted by bmarvell <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: JavaScript Frameworks

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.

Re: JavaScript Frameworks

Posted by bmarvell <ma...@gmail.com>.
Sure i wanna do "real programming" in javascript.

My issue was, the back end devs here can tap away writing wicket but it wont
cover 100% of the interactions that are needed on the front end. So I hoped
that if wicked used a preferred JS framework for some of its widgets I could
save alot of overhead and go with that on the _other_ frontend interactions
i have to deal with.

Anyways, thanks for the help people.

Re: JavaScript Frameworks

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.