Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com> on 2015/10/25 08:07:07 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Spark 1.5.2 (RC1)

Please vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache Spark
version 1.5.2. The vote is open until Wed Oct 28, 2015 at 08:00 UTC and
passes if a majority of at least 3 +1 PMC votes are cast.

The release fixes 51 known issues in Spark 1.5.1, listed here:
http://s.apache.org/spark-1.5.2

The tag to be voted on is v1.5.2-rc1:
https://github.com/apache/spark/releases/tag/v1.5.2-rc1

*http://people.apache.org/~pwendell/spark-releases/spark-1.5.2-rc1-bin/
<http://people.apache.org/~pwendell/spark-releases/spark-1.5.2-rc1-bin/>*

https://people.apache.org/keys/committer/pwendell.asc

- as version 1.5.2-rc1:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachespark-1151
- as version 1.5.2:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachespark-1150

http://people.apache.org/~pwendell/spark-releases/spark-v1.5.2-rc1-docs/

=======================================
How can I help test this release?
=======================================
If you are a Spark user, you can help us test this release by taking an
existing Spark workload and running on this release candidate, then
reporting any regressions.

What justifies a -1 vote for this release?
-1 vote should occur for regressions from Spark 1.5.1. Bugs already present
in 1.5.1 will not block this release.

What should happen to JIRA tickets still targeting 1.5.2?
Please target 1.5.3 or 1.6.0.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 1.5.2 (RC1)

Posted by Mark Hamstra <ma...@clearstorydata.com>.
You're correct, Sean: That build change isn't in branch-1.5, so the
two-phase build is still needed there.

Posted by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Josh Rosen <ro...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mark,

The shuffle memory leaks that I identified in SPARK-11239 have been around
for multiple releases and it's not clear whether they have caused
performance problems in real workloads, so I would say that it's fine to
move the release forward without including my patch. If we have to cut
another release candidate for some other reason, though, then it might be
nice to include it then, but I don't think it qualifies as a
release-blocker by itself.

Posted by Mark Hamstra <ma...@clearstorydata.com>.

Posted by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>.
[...]

  at org.apache.spark.broadcast.BroadcastSuite.org$apache$spark$broadcast$BroadcastSuite$$testUnpersistTorrentBroadcast(BroadcastSuite.scala:287)

Posted by Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com>.
Yup looks like I missed that. I will build a new one.

Posted by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Krishna Sankar <ks...@gmail.com>.
Guys,

Posted by Patrick Wendell <pw...@gmail.com>.
I verified that the issue with build binaries being present in the source
release is fixed. Haven't done enough vetting for a full vote, but did
verify that.