Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Koen Vingerhoets <ko...@ubench.com> on 2003/02/23 11:28:34 UTC

[users@httpd] ASP and Apache

Hi,

a friend of mine has problems with mail, so I ask the questions on his
behalf.

He tries to run ASP on Apache, and this is what he told me:
**********************
I have installed OpenSa 1.0.5, done a complete install (also re installed
and selected custom and manually added them). Once installed i have checked
the config and enabled ASP (load and add modules) also gone to mimes and
added the asp string. When asp modules are enabled etc., I just start server
and get an error missing asp_mod.cpp (as tho the asp module isnt installed).
If i disable asp and load it up server etc everything goes fine, i go to my
i.p and the page does work with HTML etc but as soon as i try ASP it wont
load up. All i see is code.  Also i have tried OpenSA v2 and APache 2 and
still no luck.
**********************

Is anyone able to shed some light on this??? He does NOT want to use IIS,
that's out of the question (I tried to convince him already lol)

Thanks in advance!!

Koen

Re: [users@httpd] ASP and Apache

Posted by Mark McCulligh <mm...@visualtech.ca>.
You could use something like Sun[tm] ONE Active Server Pages (formerly
Chili!Soft ASP).
http://wwws.sun.com/software/chilisoft/
I have used it on a Sun machine and works great. But it will cost you around
$500US.

If you don't have a lot of ASP code already done, I would consider changing
to PHP. Less problem in the long run.  Chilisoft works great and you can
stay away from IIS and windows if you want.

Mark.

Re: [users@httpd] ASP and Apache

Posted by "B. Covey" <bc...@wi.rr.com>.
Koen Vingerhoets wrote:

>Hi,
>
>a friend of mine has problems with mail, so I ask the questions on his
>behalf.
>
>He tries to run ASP on Apache, and this is what he told me:
>**********************
>I have installed OpenSa 1.0.5, done a complete install (also re installed
>and selected custom and manually added them). Once installed i have checked
>the config and enabled ASP (load and add modules) also gone to mimes and
>added the asp string. When asp modules are enabled etc., I just start server
>and get an error missing asp_mod.cpp (as tho the asp module isnt installed).
>If i disable asp and load it up server etc everything goes fine, i go to my
>i.p and the page does work with HTML etc but as soon as i try ASP it wont
>load up. All i see is code.  Also i have tried OpenSA v2 and APache 2 and
>still no luck.
>**********************
>
>Is anyone able to shed some light on this??? He does NOT want to use IIS,
>that's out of the question (I tried to convince him already lol)
>
>Thanks in advance!!
>
>Koen

a friend of mine has the same problem. as i told him, ASP does not work
well with apache @ all. OpenSA claims to support but i havent seen it
running on OpenSA successfully. If i were your friend i would use PHP
instead of ASP if IIS is out of the question. You could try converting
the ASP to PHP using the converter found here http://asp2php.naken.cc/

The problem is the converter wont be able to convert all of the ASP code
so some recoding will have to be done by hand.