Posted to dev@mahout.apache.org by George Zografos <gp...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/09 19:38:35 UTC

Gsoc 2013 question

Hello mahout dev community.
I have a question regarding a project idea for GSOC 2013.
Should I post it here or to JIRA as a comment?

Re: Gsoc 2013 question

Posted by Isabel Drost-Fromm <is...@apache.org>.
On Tuesday, April 09, 2013 10:46:04 PM George Zografos wrote:
> Do you mind telling me how much knowledge of java one must have in order to
> handle mahout issue #1177? (or #1179)

I think for those you need a decent amount of Java knowledge - on idioms,
patterns and best practices commonly used in the language. In addition I think
you will spend a lot of time designing and discussing your design with the
community working on these.

I would guess that detailed knowledge on the inner working of the exact
algorithms isn't that crucial even for these two particular issues.

Isabel

Re: Gsoc 2013 question

Posted by George Zografos <gp...@gmail.com>.
Alright.
Do you mind telling me how much knowledge of java one must have in order to
handle mahout issue #1177? (or #1179)
How difficult is this project on average?
I am currently not familiar with mahout or hadoop.However, I know most of
the clustering algorithms listed in the description.
Thanks.

Re: Gsoc 2013 question

Posted by Shannon Quinn <sq...@gatech.edu>.
Hi there.