Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Min Zhou <co...@gmail.com> on 2009/05/20 10:10:27 UTC

why alter table tbl add partition(...) location ... need write permission to the target location?

Hey guys,

I tried to add an external partition for my web_log table, but failed like
below,

hive> ALTER TABLE web_log ADD PARTITION (logdate='20090519') LOCATION
'/user/zhoumin/web_log/20090519/';
FAILED: Error in metadata: MetaException(message:Got exception:
org.apache.hadoop.security.AccessControlException
org.apache.hadoop.security.AccessControlException: Permission denied:
user=hive, access=WRITE, inode="web_log":..omitted...:rwxr-xr-x)
org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.DDLTask

why this ddl command need write permission to the target location? Could I
solve it gracefully?

Thanks,
Min
bytecode based virtual machine.

My profile:
http://www.linkedin.com/in/coderplay
My blog:
http://coderplay.javaeye.com

Re: why alter table tbl add partition(...) location ... need write permission to the target location?

Posted by Min Zhou <co...@gmail.com>.
Sorry, my bad! the directory I loaded isn't exists yet.