Posted to adffaces-dev@incubator.apache.org by Adam Winer <aw...@gmail.com> on 2006/04/14 06:35:39 UTC

ADF Faces package name - a first pass

While I'm waiting for a clear spot to start checking in,
we can talk to resolve some basic issues up front.

First up is a package name.  There's no requirement for
any final decision until we leave incubator, but I'd like
something better than "oracle.Anything" for the first
checkin.

Does "org.apache.myfaces.adf" sound reasonable?
And "org.apache.myfaces.adfinternal" for all of our
internal code?  ADF Faces uses package partitioning for
solidified public APIs vs. internal private APIs, and
I'd like to continue that here.

And, FWIW, "org.apache.myfaces.adfbuild" and
"org.apache.myfaces.adfdemo" for our build tools
and demo code.

This'd also carry over to constants, init params, component
families, renderer types, etc.

-- Adam

Re: ADF Faces package name - a first pass

Posted by John Fallows <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 4/14/06, Adam Winer <aw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think a good start on that will be just getting it checked in
> here in our incubator, all licensed properly, etc., and indicating
> to the Apache Maven devs that we won't feel the tiniest
> bit slighted if they grab that code from us.

Agreed.  I'll ping Brett and the gang once we have an initial checkin for
adffaces incubator.

tc,
-john.
--
http://apress.com/book/bookDisplay.html?bID=10044
Author: Pro JSF and Ajax: Building Rich Internet Components, Apress

Re: ADF Faces package name - a first pass

Posted by Adam Winer <aw...@gmail.com>.
I think a good start on that will be just getting it checked in
here in our incubator, all licensed properly, etc., and indicating
to the Apache Maven devs that we won't feel the tiniest
bit slighted if they grab that code from us.  I don't think I'd
have the time to work on it personally.

-- Adam

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
nice to hear.

Posted by John Fallows <jo...@gmail.com>.
Sounds like a good start.

--
http://apress.com/book/bookDisplay.html?bID=10044
Author: Pro JSF and Ajax: Building Rich Internet Components, Apress

Re: ADF Faces package name - a first pass

Posted by Jonas Jacobi <jo...@oracle.com>.
Adam Winer wrote:
> While I'm waiting for a clear spot to start checking in,
> we can talk to resolve some basic issues up front.
>
> First up is a package name.  There's no requirement for
> any final decision until we leave incubator, but I'd like
> something better than "oracle.Anything" for the first
> checkin.
>
> Does "org.apache.myfaces.adf" sound reasonable?
> And "org.apache.myfaces.adfinternal" for all of our
> internal code?  ADF Faces uses package partitioning for
> solidified public APIs vs. internal private APIs, and
> I'd like to continue that here.

+1 It would be strange to keep the Oracle package name although it can
be changed later. The sooner we can come up with a new "name" for this
project the better for everyone, but for now this is fine by me.
> And, FWIW, "org.apache.myfaces.adfbuild" and
> "org.apache.myfaces.adfdemo" for our build tools
> and demo code.

+ 1
> This'd also carry over to constants, init params, component
> families, renderer types, etc.
>
> -- Adam

- Jonas

--
*Author*: Pro JSF and Ajax: Building Rich Internet Components
<http://apress.com/book/bookDisplay.html?bID=10044>

Re: ADF Faces package name - a first pass

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <mw...@gmail.com>.
> First up is a package name.  There's no requirement for
> any final decision until we leave incubator, but I'd like
> something better than "oracle.Anything" for the first
> checkin.

+1

> Does "org.apache.myfaces.adf" sound reasonable?
> And "org.apache.myfaces.adfinternal" for all of our
> internal code?  ADF Faces uses package partitioning for
> solidified public APIs vs. internal private APIs, and
> I'd like to continue that here.

+1 on that too, since this *reflects* the current structure, only with
the o.a.m.*** in front

> And, FWIW, "org.apache.myfaces.adfbuild" and
> "org.apache.myfaces.adfdemo" for our build tools
> and demo code.

sounds good. Before we leave the incubator, there is also the
possibility to *change* the package issue again. but for now, we
should start on that discussed packages

-Matthias

--
Matthias Wessendorf
Zülpicher Wall 12, 239

Posted by Adam Winer <aw...@gmail.com>.
My goal's to get it done within the next couple of weeks;
this wasn't the best timing relative to my work schedule. :(

-- Adam

Posted by John Fallows <jo...@gmail.com>.

Author: Pro JSF and Ajax: Building Rich Internet Components, Apress

Re: ADF Faces package name - a first pass

Posted by Adam Winer <aw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by John Fallows <jo...@gmail.com>.

Author: Pro JSF and Ajax: Building Rich Internet Components, Apress

Re: ADF Faces package name - a first pass

Posted by Manfred Geiler <ma...@gmail.com>.
On 4/18/06, John Fallows <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4/18/06, Manfred Geiler <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Already done the package renaming?
> > If not, what about having one more additional namespace level:
> > org.apache.myfaces.adf.api
> > org.apache.myfaces.adf.internal (or impl? - which sounds more common to
> > me)
> > org.apache.myfaces.adf.build
> > org.apache.myfaces.adf.demo
> >
> > I think this would separate things even more clearly: All ADF stuff in
> one
> > "master" package.
>

> Understood.  However, the downside of this is that the  "internal" /
> "impl"
> subpackage would show up during IDE code completion.  Branching the
> package
> namespace early between API and impl helps to address this issue.

Not sure I understood.
When I add org.apache.myfaces.adf.api (ie the API jar) to my IDE there will
be no code completion for internal/impl
(org.apache.myfaces.adf.internalpackage). Right?

Manfred

Re: ADF Faces package name - a first pass

Posted by John Fallows <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 4/18/06, Manfred Geiler <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Already done the package renaming?
> If not, what about having one more additional namespace level:
> org.apache.myfaces.adf.api
> org.apache.myfaces.adf.internal (or impl? - which sounds more common to
> me)
> org.apache.myfaces.adf.build
> org.apache.myfaces.adf.demo
>
> I think this would separate things even more clearly: All ADF stuff in one
> "master" package.

Understood.  However, the downside of this is that the  "internal" / "impl"
subpackage would show up during IDE code completion.  Branching the package
namespace early between API and impl helps to address this issue.

Kind Regards,
John Fallows.
--
http://apress.com/book/bookDisplay.html?bID=10044
Author: Pro JSF and Ajax: Building Rich Internet Components, Apress

Re: ADF Faces package name - a first pass

Posted by Manfred Geiler <ma...@gmail.com>.
Already done the package renaming?
If not, what about having one more additional namespace level:
 org.apache.myfaces.adf.api
 org.apache.myfaces.adf.internal (or impl? - which sounds more common to me)
 org.apache.myfaces.adf.build
 org.apache.myfaces.adf.demo

I think this would separate things even more clearly: All ADF stuff in one
"master" package.
But that's just my 2 cents. Never mind if renaming is already done.

Manfred