Posted to xap-dev@incubator.apache.org by James Margaris <jm...@nexaweb.com> on 2007/03/21 22:38:16 UTC

Optmizations

Tonight I am going to check in some optimizations that Michael Mikhaylov
and I have been working on. (95% Michael, 5% me) These optimizations are
geared around reducing startup time. The main optimization involves some
changes to our use of dojo.connectEvent - calling it less frequently and
changing the connect code itself a bit as well.

Recently Michael Turyn checked in dojo 0.4, which also makes some
performance improvements as well as fixing the behavior of some
components. For example the tabbed pane response time is now a lot
snappier when clicking on various tabs, and some operations like
scrolling a large table inside of a tabbed pane are an order of
magnitude faster.

So hopefully people will start seeing a fairly significant speedup.

James Margaris

Wiki updated to help new developers

Posted by James Margaris <jm...@nexaweb.com>.
http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/xap/CodeTour

I added this page to help people find their way around the codebase a bit. It describes some basic ideas taken from the xap web page architecture section and translates them into actual file names so people can match the code against the concepts.

It is mostly geared towards developing UI components as that is something many people are probably interested and is also some core functionality.

James Margaris

RE: Optmizations

Posted by James Margaris <jm...@nexaweb.com>.

XAP-346 and XAP-347 are the optimization patches.

There isn't a lot of new code and the new code that there is is basically one method copy/pasted 14 times with a new name, so it looks like a set of minor bug fixes to me.

James M

Posted by James Margaris <jm...@nexaweb.com>.
I'm separating out "widgets" into more specific categories because the
vast majority of issues are widget issues and it is annoying for 90% of
all bugs to be grouped in one category.

James M

RE: Optmizations

Posted by David Gennaco <dg...@nexaweb.com>.
Hello,

In the few bug fixes I submitted with attachments the appropriate button should have been checked, please let me know if I did not file them correctly.

Thank you,

Dave

> Martin it can be very difficult to navigate the Apache policies
> sometimes.

I know. ;-(

I looked at http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#roles and
> it seems to me that Carlos and Michael M fall under "developers".

Yes. However, you shouldn't read into the description of "committer" that those are the _only_ people who need to sign a CLA. The description of "developer" should probably say that they too may have to sign a CLA, depending on their specific contributions.

If we
> need CLAs for Jira patches I guess we can do that but I have in the
> past checked in patches from people without CLAs.

Again, it's a judgement call. Sometimes it's obvious: a multi-megabyte code contribution is going to need a CLA (and probably more than that); a one-line fix is not. Other times, though, it's not as clear cut.

There's some checkbox thing in JIRA that I've heard about that explicitly grants rights or something. I don't know if that alleviates the legal concerns, and I'm not sure if it shows up for all projects, but it might be worth looking into.

The actual code changes here are fairly small, although I am not
> familiar with the exact scope it is stuff on the level of creating a
> regular expression once and saving it rather than creating a new one
> every time, or using "connectOnce" instead of "connect" to connect
> events. I don't believe there are any new files or substantial blocks
> of new code.
>
> I can hold off on comitting the changes. (I don't see that patch filed
> yet anyway) Maybe you could look at the patch after it is filed and
> help make the judgement call if it is signicant changes or simple bug fixes?

I can try to do that if I can find some time. It would help if you could ping me directly when the patch shows up.

I would like to get the perf improvements checked in without waiting for
> a CLA if that is possible because the performance changes makes a
> fairly large difference. It isn't a lot of code change but the effect
> is rather large.

Understood.

--
Martin Cooper

James M

RE: Optmizations

> Martin it can be very difficult to navigate the Apache policies
> sometimes.

I know. ;-(

I looked at http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#roles and
> it seems to me that Carlos and Michael M fall under "developers".

Yes. However, you shouldn't read into the description of "committer" that those are the _only_ people who need to sign a CLA. The description of "developer" should probably say that they too may have to sign a CLA, depending on their specific contributions.

If we
> need CLAs for Jira patches I guess we can do that but I have in the
> past checked in patches from people without CLAs.

Again, it's a judgement call. Sometimes it's obvious: a multi-megabyte code contribution is going to need a CLA (and probably more than that); a one-line fix is not. Other times, though, it's not as clear cut.

There's some checkbox thing in JIRA that I've heard about that explicitly grants rights or something. I don't know if that alleviates the legal concerns, and I'm not sure if it shows up for all projects, but it might be worth looking into.

The actual code changes here are fairly small, although I am not
> familiar with the exact scope it is stuff on the level of creating a
> regular expression once and saving it rather than creating a new one
> every time, or using "connectOnce" instead of "connect" to connect
> events. I don't believe there are any new files or substantial blocks
> of new code.
>
> I can hold off on comitting the changes. (I don't see that patch filed
> yet anyway) Maybe you could look at the patch after it is filed and
> help make the judgement call if it is signicant changes or simple bug fixes?

I can try to do that if I can find some time. It would help if you could ping me directly when the patch shows up.

I would like to get the perf improvements checked in without waiting for
> a CLA if that is possible because the performance changes makes a
> fairly large difference. It isn't a lot of code change but the effect
> is rather large.

Understood.

--
Martin Cooper

James M

Re: Optmizations

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On 3/21/07, James Margaris <jm...@nexaweb.com> wrote:

> Martin it can be very difficult to navigate the Apache policies
> sometimes.

I know. ;-(

I looked at http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#roles and
> it seems to me that Carlos and Michael M fall under "developers".

Yes. However, you shouldn't read into the description of "committer" that
those are the _only_ people who need to sign a CLA. The description of
"developer" should probably say that they too may have to sign a CLA,
depending on their specific contributions.

If we
> need CLAs for Jira patches I guess we can do that but I have in the past
> checked in patches from people without CLAs.

Again, it's a judgement call. Sometimes it's obvious: a multi-megabyte code
contribution is going to need a CLA (and probably more than that); a
one-line fix is not. Other times, though, it's not as clear cut.

There's some checkbox thing in JIRA that I've heard about that explicitly
grants rights or something. I don't know if that alleviates the legal
concerns, and I'm not sure if it shows up for all projects, but it might be
worth looking into.

The actual code changes here are fairly small, although I am not
> familiar with the exact scope it is stuff on the level of creating a
> regular expression once and saving it rather than creating a new one
> every time, or using "connectOnce" instead of "connect" to connect
> events. I don't believe there are any new files or substantial blocks of
> new code.
>
> I can hold off on comitting the changes. (I don't see that patch filed
> yet anyway) Maybe you could look at the patch after it is filed and help
> make the judgement call if it is signicant changes or simple bug fixes?

I can try to do that if I can find some time. It would help if you could
ping me directly when the patch shows up.

I would like to get the perf improvements checked in without waiting for
> a CLA if that is possible because the performance changes makes a fairly
> large difference. It isn't a lot of code change but the effect is rather
> large.

Understood.

--
Martin Cooper

James M

RE: Optmizations

Posted by James Margaris <jm...@nexaweb.com>.

Martin it can be very difficult to navigate the Apache policies
sometimes.

I looked at http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#roles and
it seems to me that Carlos and Michael M fall under "developers". If we

Re: Optmizations

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

RE: Optmizations

Re: Optmizations