Posted to dev@accumulo.apache.org by "John R. Frank" <jr...@diffeo.com> on 2014/10/04 18:56:51 UTC

C++ accumulo client --> native clients for Python, Go, Ruby etc

Accumulo Developers,

We're trying to boost throughput of non-Java tools with Accumulo.  It seems that the lowest hanging fruit is to stop using the thrift proxy. Per discussion about Python and thrift proxy in the users list [1], I'm wondering if anyone is interested in helping with a native C++ client?  There is a start on one here [2]. We could offer a bounty or maybe make a consulting project depending who is interested in it.

We also looked at trying to run a separate thrift proxy for every worker thread or process.  With many cores on a box, eg 32, it just doesn't seem practical to run that many proxies, even if they all run on a single JVM. We'd be glad to hear ideas on that front too.

A potentially big benefit of making a proper C++ accumulo client is that it is straightforward to expose native interfaces in Python (via pyObject), Go [3], Ruby [4], and other languages.

Thanks for any advice, pointers, interest.

John

1-- http://www.mail-archive.com/user@accumulo.apache.org/msg03999.html

2--
https://github.com/phrocker/apeirogon

3-- http://golang.org/cmd/cgo/

4-- https://www.amberbit.com/blog/2014/6/12/calling-c-cpp-from-ruby/

Sent from +1-617-899-2066

Re: C++ accumulo client --> native clients for Python, Go, Ruby etc

Posted by Corey Nolet <cj...@gmail.com>.
Yeah the reason ask about having the community support it is because the
thrift interfaces are all internal workings, thus, code other than the
client API should probably be maintained internally. This will add a slight
overhead to development and maintenance of these thrift services because
more implementations will now need to be kept up to date and modified when
changes need to be implemented.

Not saying it should be a showstopper, just pointing it out.

Posted by "John R. Frank" <jr...@diffeo.com>.

We're running a experiment with multiple local proxies to try to better
understand the batching and bottlenecking issues.  Will report back.

jrf

Re: C++ accumulo client --> native clients for Python, Go, Ruby etc

Posted by Adam Fuchs <af...@apache.org>.
John,

Do you have any performance numbers that you can share around your use
of the existing proxy solution? One of the reasons that Thrift is
performant for Accumulo is that messages are batched by the client
library and sent over a smaller number of RPCs. A C++ client will also
need to have mechanisms like the BatchWriter to get the best
performance. Also, it may be possible to make the proxy faster by
batching more data into the update call.

Adam

Posted by "John R. Frank" <jr...@diffeo.com>.
Two kinds of gains:

Posted by David Medinets <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "John R. Frank" <jr...@diffeo.com>.
There is an initial start on a C++ client here:

https://github.com/phrocker/apeirogon/issues/1#issuecomment-57958812

Looks like it is starting to use the underlying thrift interfaces, just
like the java client.

It would be great to get this supported in core accumulo.  My company
would be interested in helping to support work on this.  To get it jump
started, we could offer a bounty or maybe focused consulting engagement,
and then longer term we could help maintain the code (since we'd be using
it.)

jrf

Posted by Corey Nolet <cj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.