Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Dale Johnson <da...@gmail.com> on 2008/07/08 01:37:55 UTC

scaling couchdb

Greetings,

I'm trying to implement a large scale assessment of CouchDB.

CouchDB shows a great deal of promise, and I'm busy learning
erlang so I can read the source code.

I'm plowing ahead with a wiki entry:

http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/ConfiguringDistributedSystems

That page is in an 'alpha' state. :)

So my basic plan is to read the source code to see how it
works, and try to get something running in a couple of days.
I'm more than willing to fill out the wiki page, even if it's to say
it doesn't to this and it doesn't do that.

But, the 64k$ question is -- is there any project roadmap
in general, or scaling documents in particular that would
guide potential adopters?

--
Dale Johnson (dale.johnson@gmail.com)

Fwd: scaling couchdb

Re: scaling couchdb

Posted by Dale Johnson <da...@gmail.com>.
Jan,

Thanks for getting back to me.  Probably the core team has been
at this awhile, and when newbies come by asking the same old
questions, they probably seem a bit thick ;)  Obviously I need
to go through the mailing lists, and RTFM, as they say.  Thanks
for linking me to the obviously placed road map.

So about the roadmap, obviously the "next release" is 0.9.  I'm
going to guess that "server storage partitioning" being in that
third section puts it 1.1-ish, putting us into perhaps next year?

Please don't think I'm trying to be pushy or anything, I just
need to figure out if the timeline (and system design) for CouchDB
fits into the timeline and constraints for the project that I'm
working on.

I think this statement from the FAQ might have got me on the
wrong track:

"How Much Stuff can I Store in CouchDB?

With node partitioning, virtually unlimited. For a single database
instance, the practical scaling limits aren't yet known."

I think it suggests that CouchDB supports node partitioning,
which is non-trivial for applications to implement in a way that's
easy for operations to manage.

Dale.

Re: scaling couchdb

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
Heya Dale,

Re: scaling couchdb

Posted by Peter Schade <l-...@gmx.net>.
> I'm trying to implement a large scale assessment of CouchDB.
>
> CouchDB shows a great deal of promise, and I'm busy learning
> erlang so I can read the source code.
>
> I'm plowing ahead with a wiki entry:
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/ConfiguringDistributedSystems

Yes that interesting questions that other user would also interrest. The
first time i saw couchdb i thought cool, but then ... not much information
on the scaling ... and so on...

Bye Peter