Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Gabe Rudy <ru...@goldenhelix.com> on 2005/09/13 20:16:47 UTC

OpenStatServer is interested in Apache Incubation

Greetings,

I'm voluntarily representing the OpenStatServer project (openstatserver.com)
which is a collaborative effort to provide an open system for acessing
computational models (from environments like R, SAS, Matlab etc) via a single
well-defined client interface.

The project has developer support from a couple large corporations with
interest in seeing the project succeed. For example, our project lead,
Gregory Warnes, and some other developers work at Pfizer. The project has
already matured to the point of having the infrastructure of a hosting
service and CVS repository, the development of a alpha code base and the
commitment of a team of developers and supporters.

In our last meeting, we decided to seek out an organization to hold the
copyrights an provide legal protection for the open source project. The
community and well established reputation of the Apache Foundation
immediately caught our interest. Our first step was to move to the Apache 2.0
license, and now we would like to apply for candidacy as an Apache Incubator
project.

I realize that a valid candidate requires a nomination from a member of the
Apache Software Foundation and a sponsor by the Apache board, a Top Level
Project or the Incubator PMC. As far as nomination goes, I would encourage
anyone to visit our web site (http://openstatserver.com) and if the project
excites you contact Gregory (Gregory.R.Warnes@Pfizer.com) or me with any
questions you might have. Since the nature of OpenStatServer does not
obviously fall under any one of Apache's top level projects, I would hope
that the Incubator PMC would take enough interest in the project to sponsor
it.

If there is anything I can do to future OpenStatServer's position as a
candidate, I would by happy to see to them or bring them up in our meeting
this Friday.

Thanks,
Gabe Rudy
--
Software Development Engineer
Golden Helix, Inc.

Re: OpenStatServer is interested in Apache Incubation

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.
On Sep 13, 2005, at 8:24 PM, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 September 2005 02:16, Gabe Rudy wrote:
>> In our last meeting, we decided to seek out an organization to hold
>> the
>> copyrights an provide legal protection for the open source project.
>
> FYI, Apache Software Foundation does not hold the copyrights,

That is not always true.  The Apache Software Foundation does not
require that new contributions be in the form of a copyright assignment.
However, the ASF has not rejected such an assignment when it has
been offered.  If there is a legitimate reason for desiring to
assign copyright to the ASF and there is nothing legally preventing
such an assignment, then I believe the board of directors would be
willing to accept ownership of copyright for code contributed
to one of our projects.

However, I suggest that you find out first whether there is
sufficient interest at Apache to support a collaborative project.

....Roy

Re: OpenStatServer is interested in Apache Incubation

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Wednesday 14 September 2005 02:16, Gabe Rudy wrote:
> In our last meeting, we decided to seek out an organization to hold the
> copyrights an provide legal protection for the open source project.

FYI, Apache Software Foundation does not hold the copyrights, unlike the Free
Software Foundation. Each contributor retains their respective copyrights.
ASF creates a licensing model, where there is a back-to-back license from the
contributor via the ASF to the downstream users.

This may be a minute detail that is not important to you, but I thought it
would be prudent to be pointed out.

I have not been able to make any evaluation of the project credits, but I am
sure others will do. In the meantime, I recommend you to go through the check
list set up at Jakarta; http://jakarta.apache.org/site/newproject.html

This would give you an idea of how the Incubator will review the project.

Cheers
Niclas