Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Evenson <ev...@panix.com> on 2001/03/31 22:10:50 UTC

CVS tagging conventions

Greetings,

I am new to the Tomcat world, but a fairly experienced UNIX developer.

I am trying to get tomcat-3.2.1 running via mod_jk to apache-1.3.19 on
FreeBSD RELENG_4.  Due to some recent funkiness in relation to specifying
threading conventions in recent FreeBSD systems, the install of mod_jk
fails by core-ing apache.

Being a somewhat resourceful type, I thought I would pull the latest tomcat
build out of CVS checking out the latest relevant branch, figure out what
was going on, and contribute the patches to help others out.

I am rather confused as to which CVS tag I should be working against.  Out
of the following list of tags, which should I be using?

        tomcat_322_b2                   (revision: 1.53.2.6)
        tomcat_33_m2                    (revision: 1.123)
        tomcat_322_b1                   (revision: 1.53.2.6)
        tomcat_33_m1                    (revision: 1.115)
        tomcat_321_final                (revision: 1.53.2.5)
        tomcat_32_final                 (revision: 1.53.2.5)
        tomcat_32_b7                    (revision: 1.53.2.5)
        tomcat_32                       (branch: 1.53.2)

Alternatively is there a document listing the conventions for CVS tagging
that exists somewhere?

My highspeed link (NorthPoint DSL) is going away sometime in the near
future, so I don't really expect to have the bandwidth to look at the
differences between all of these tags.  Using the cvsweb interface offers
some help, but it is rather hard to visual all of the changes without
having a filesystem to "diff -rc" against.

Mark Evenson <ev...@panix.com>

"A screaming comes across the sky.  It has happened before, but there is
nothing to compare to it now."

Re: CVS tagging conventions

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On 31 Mar 2001, Mark Evenson wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I am new to the Tomcat world, but a fairly experienced UNIX developer.
>
> I am trying to get tomcat-3.2.1 running via mod_jk to apache-1.3.19 on
> FreeBSD RELENG_4.  Due to some recent funkiness in relation to specifying
> threading conventions in recent FreeBSD systems, the install of mod_jk
> fails by core-ing apache.
>
> Being a somewhat resourceful type, I thought I would pull the latest tomcat
> build out of CVS checking out the latest relevant branch, figure out what
> was going on, and contribute the patches to help others out.
>
> I am rather confused as to which CVS tag I should be working against.  Out
> of the following list of tags, which should I be using?
>
>         tomcat_322_b2                   (revision: 1.53.2.6)
>         tomcat_33_m2                    (revision: 1.123)
>         tomcat_322_b1                   (revision: 1.53.2.6)
>         tomcat_33_m1                    (revision: 1.115)
>         tomcat_321_final                (revision: 1.53.2.5)
>         tomcat_32_final                 (revision: 1.53.2.5)
>         tomcat_32_b7                    (revision: 1.53.2.5)
>         tomcat_32                       (branch: 1.53.2)
>
> Alternatively is there a document listing the conventions for CVS tagging
> that exists somewhere?

If you want to work on Tomcat 3.2.x, The branch itself is "tomcat_32" --
all the other tags are labels of specific releases.  Just do a checkout
using the "tomcat_32" branch and CVS will set a sticky tag on every file
so that you will pull the latest version of each file from that branch.

For Tomcat 3.3, you would use the HEAD (default) branch of this
repository.

For Tomcat 4.0, you would use the "jakarta-tomcat-4.0" repository (HEAD
branch).

> My highspeed link (NorthPoint DSL) is going away sometime in the near
> future, so I don't really expect to have the bandwidth to look at the
> differences between all of these tags.  Using the cvsweb interface offers
> some help, but it is rather hard to visual all of the changes without
> having a filesystem to "diff -rc" against.

> Mark Evenson <ev...@panix.com>

Craig McClanahan

Re: CVS tagging conventions

Posted by cm...@yahoo.com.
Hi Mark,

> I am rather confused as to which CVS tag I should be working against.  Out
> of the following list of tags, which should I be using?

The main branch ( i.e. "cvs co jakrata-tomcat" - without a -r ) is the
development version.

Each tag marks a release point.

For each stable release ( 3.0, 3.1, 3.2 ) there is a branch.

The current "stable" release is 32 ( developed in tomcat_32 branch ),
with the last milestone beeing 322_b2 ( beta 2 ).

If you want the fix to go into the "stable", you should checkout the
tomcat_32 brach ( the current top of the brach is close to/identical
with beta 2 ).

If you want to fix the "development" tree, you should checkout the main
branch.

AFAIK the "stable" branch is frozen, and only major bugs with little
impact on stability should go in. Marc is the release manager, and he must
aprove any fix, given the advanced state of the release.

For the "development" tree, we are aproaching a freeze point ( I hope in
few weeks ).

Costin