Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org> on 2020/06/01 23:42:58 UTC

Re: dealing with late data output timestamps

Quick reply about one top-level thing: output timestamps and watermark
holds are closely related. A hold is precisely reserving the right to
output at a particular time. The part that is unintuitive is that these are
ever different. That is, really, a hack to allow downstream processing to
proceed more quickly when input is already late. I wonder if there is
another way to set up the requirements so that they are always the same
value, but the downstream on time processing is not held up by late data.

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org>.
See https://s.apache.org/beam-lateness for detailed rationale about where
the holds end up. It is a pretty massive read, but at this point I think
even the details there are relevant.

TL;DR is that the hold policy:

 - never makes on time data late
 - never makes non-droppable data droppable
 - never holds up downstream processing more than required

I don't believe there is another policy that achieves these.

Kenn

Posted by Jan Lukavský <je...@seznam.cz>.
Hi Kenn,