Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org> on 2014/11/26 16:16:39 UTC

Ticket Transition Workflow: Abandoned issues

This email is related to thread "Abandoned bug analysis" [1].

We have done the Great Ticket Cleanup of 2014 twice this year. It has
really been productive for anyone who triages outstanding bugs and
enhancements. We've been adding a note in the ticket, as a courtesy to the
participants, and closing them as "Won't Fix".

This is certainly one valid way of accomplishing the goal. However, I do
believe we should enhance our workflow by adding an "Abandoned" (my fav) or
"Archived" resolution. Why? Because "Won't Fix" is typically is used to
close out a bug that will never be fixed (i.e., too many people rely on the
bad behavior) or the enhancement is deemed worthless or incorrect. But more
importantly, it's not possible to do a JIRA search and distinguish between
these two conditions unless a new resolution is introduced.

So I'd like to officially propose a new resolution to address this concern.

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/maven-dev/201411.mbox/%3C5473AB9B.4090504@apache.org%3E

Cheers,
Paul

Re: Ticket Transition Workflow: Abandoned issues

Posted by Chris Graham <ch...@gmail.com>.
Nicely worded!

+1

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.
Stephen Connolly wrote:

> I think we can add whatever states we want.
>
> These are not Backlog though
>
> They are perhaps "Stale" or "Inactive/Unconfirmed"
>
> Just need a label that communicates the ticket as closed due to no
> response and no clear report"

Incomplete ;-)

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
I think we can add whatever states we want.

These are not Backlog though

They are perhaps "Stale" or "Inactive/Unconfirmed"

Just need a label that communicates the ticket as closed due to no response
and no clear report"

On Wednesday, November 26, 2014, Chris Graham <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:

> RTC uses Backlog. Does Jira have something similar?
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 27/11/2014, at 8:13 AM, David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com.INVALID>
> wrote:
>
> > Retired rather than Archived?
> >
> > This cleanup seems like a really good idea :-)
> >
> > david jencks
> >
> > On Nov 26, 2014, at 12:41 PM, Paul Benedict <pbenedict@apache.org
> <javascript:;>> wrote:
> >
> >> My 2-cents on the word "Archived" is that it's a synonym for
> >> Backup/Storage, which I don't think is what this process is about.
> >>

> >> Cheers,
> >> Paul

> to the

> do
> fav)
> on
> between

> <javascript:;>
> <javascript:;>

Sent from my phone

Re: Ticket Transition Workflow: Abandoned issues

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
In my work life use of RTC Backlog means "needs to be investigated by a developer".  I think Cancelled as Incomplete might be a closer RTC match to the meaning we are looking for here.

david jencks

Posted by Chris Graham <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.