Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Steve Kunkee <st...@gmail.com> on 2006/03/28 23:17:31 UTC

config file with cygwin

I downloaded the Cygwin build of Subversion (1.2.3). I have been trying to
get the config files to work without success (I want to specify
global-ignores). I am using the repository locally (no serever). No matter
what I do to get it to ignore .obj files, I can still add .obj files, using
Cygwin terminals. I've put a config file with a global-ignore tag in
Cygwin's /etc/subversion directory and in my Cygwin
$HOME/.subversion/config. I've tried changing it for straight Windows
(TortoiseSVN), but let's start with Cygwin. It seems like I have everything
done according to the doc, but no luck. I must be missing something. Can
anyone help?

Thanks, Steve

Re: config file with cygwin

Posted by Daniel Serodio <da...@xxx.com.br>.
Mathias.Weinert@gfa-net.de wrote:
> Steve Kunkee wrote:
>

>> I downloaded the Cygwin build of Subversion (1.2.3). I have been trying
>>
> to get the config files to work without success (I want to specify
> global-ignores). I am using the repository locally (no serever). No matter
> what I do to get it to ignore .obj files, I can still add .obj files,
> using Cygwin terminals. I've put a config file with a global-ignore tag in
> Cygwin's /etc/subversion directory and in my Cygwin
> $HOME/.subversion/config. I've tried changing it for straight Windows
> (TortoiseSVN), but let's start with Cygwin. It seems like I have
> everything done according to the doc, but no luck. I must be missing
> something. Can anyone help?
>

> The cygwin version of Subversion looks for the config file in
> $HOME/.subversion whereas the Windows version looks for it in
> %APPDATA%\Subversion so please ensure that you are editing the
> right file. May be you want to try the --config-dir option to
> explicitly set the config dir.
>
> 	<snip>
If your filesystem is NTFS, you can create a "junction point" (aka
symlink) from $HOME/.subversion to %APPDATA%\Subversion (or the
opposite), so that they are 2 filesystem locations pointing to the same
physical directory.
I use NTFS Link (http://www.elsdoerfer.info/ntfslink/) to create
junction points.

HTH,
Daniel Serodio

Re: config file with cygwin

Posted by Ma...@gfa-net.de.
Steve Kunkee wrote:

> I downloaded the Cygwin build of Subversion (1.2.3). I have been trying
to get the config files to work without success (I want to specify
global-ignores). I am using the repository locally (no serever). No matter
what I do to get it to ignore .obj files, I can still add .obj files,
using Cygwin terminals. I've put a config file with a global-ignore tag in
Cygwin's /etc/subversion directory and in my Cygwin
$HOME/.subversion/config. I've tried changing it for straight Windows
(TortoiseSVN), but let's start with Cygwin. It seems like I have
everything done according to the doc, but no luck. I must be missing
something. Can anyone help?

The cygwin version of Subversion looks for the config file in
$HOME/.subversion whereas the Windows version looks for it in
%APPDATA%\Subversion so please ensure that you are editing the
right file. May be you want to try the --config-dir option to
explicitly set the config dir.

Another thing to know is that the global-ignores option only
prevents the files from being shown by 'svn status'. You are
still able to add such a file with 'svn add'. And if the file
is already committed to the repository it won't be ignored
either.

Please keep in mind that the global-ignores option is one for
the client (for the working copies) (as is the whole config
file). So it has nothing to do with which protocoll you are
accessing the repository.

Hope this helps.

Mathias