Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Nagesh Kumar Suravarjula <ns...@cisco.com> on 2007/06/15 10:50:13 UTC

How to populate Collection element of FormBean on Submit

Hi

I have a Collection Element in my Form Bean whose elements are displayed in
a table in JSP .  Also, I have a hidden variable in my JSP whose values are
coming from this Collection Element.  I do have a reset method in my form
bean.

My requirement is that, when I submit the jsp, I get the below error :

[Servlet Error]-[BeanUtils.populate]: javax.servlet.ServletException:
BeanUtils.populate
 at
com.netegrity.was511.filter.ServletFilter.doFilter(ServletFilter.java:75)
 at
com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.filter.FilterInstanceWrapper.doFilter(FilterInstance
Wrapper.java:132)
 at
com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.filter.WebAppFilterChain.doFilter(WebAppFilterChain.
java:71)
 at
com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebAppRequestDispatcher.handleWebAppDispatch(
WebAppRequestDispatcher.java:1162)
 at
com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebAppRequestDispatcher.dispatch(WebAppReques
tDispatcher.java:676)
 at
com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebAppRequestDispatcher.forward(WebAppRequest
Dispatcher.java:203)
 at
com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.srt.WebAppInvoker.doForward(WebAppInvoker.java:125)
 at
com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.srt.WebAppInvoker.handleInvocationHook(WebAppInvoker
java:294)
 at
com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.cache.invocation.CachedInvocation.handleInvocation(C
achedInvocation.java:71)
 at
com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.srp.ServletRequestProcessor.dispatchByURI(ServletReq
uestProcessor.java:246)
 at
com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.oselistener.OSEListenerDispatcher.service(OSEListene
r.java:334)
 at
com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.http.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.jav
a:56)
 at
com.ibm.ws.http.HttpConnection.readAndHandleRequest(HttpConnection.java:652)
 at com.ibm.ws.http.HttpConnection.run(HttpConnection.java:458)
 at com.ibm.ws.util.ThreadPool$Worker.run(ThreadPool.java:912)

How to overcome this situation ?  How can I submit a collection at the time
of submit of a form ?

Your early reply is highly appreciated.

Thanks & Regards
Nagesh

Re: How to populate Collection element of FormBean on Submit

Posted by Nicolás Pace <ni...@gmail.com>.
On 6/15/07, Nagesh Kumar Suravarjula <ns...@cisco.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a Collection Element in my Form Bean whose elements are displayed in
> a table in JSP .  Also, I have a hidden variable in my JSP whose values are
> coming from this Collection Element.  I do have a reset method in my form
> bean.
>
> My requirement is that, when I submit the jsp, I get the below error :
>
> [Servlet Error]-[BeanUtils.populate]: javax.servlet.ServletException:
> BeanUtils.populate
>  at
> com.netegrity.was511.filter.ServletFilter.doFilter(ServletFilter.java:75)
>  at
> com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.filter.FilterInstanceWrapper.doFilter(FilterInstance
> Wrapper.java:132)
>  at
> com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.filter.WebAppFilterChain.doFilter(WebAppFilterChain.
> java:71)
>  at
> com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebAppRequestDispatcher.handleWebAppDispatch(
> WebAppRequestDispatcher.java:1162)
>  at
> com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebAppRequestDispatcher.dispatch(WebAppReques
> tDispatcher.java:676)
>  at
> com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebAppRequestDispatcher.forward(WebAppRequest
> Dispatcher.java:203)
>  at
> com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.srt.WebAppInvoker.doForward(WebAppInvoker.java:125)
>  at
> com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.srt.WebAppInvoker.handleInvocationHook(WebAppInvoker
> java:294)
>  at
> com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.cache.invocation.CachedInvocation.handleInvocation(C
> achedInvocation.java:71)
>  at
> com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.srp.ServletRequestProcessor.dispatchByURI(ServletReq
> uestProcessor.java:246)
>  at
> com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.oselistener.OSEListenerDispatcher.service(OSEListene
> r.java:334)
>  at
> com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.http.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.jav
> a:56)
>  at
> com.ibm.ws.http.HttpConnection.readAndHandleRequest(HttpConnection.java:652)
>  at com.ibm.ws.http.HttpConnection.run(HttpConnection.java:458)
>  at com.ibm.ws.util.ThreadPool$Worker.run(ThreadPool.java:912)
>

> How to overcome this situation ?  How can I submit a collection at the time
> of submit of a form ?
You can do this by mapping the elements of the collection to html
forms using OGNL expressions.
Look here for an explanation on how struts+ognl do the mapping:
http://cwiki.apache.org/WW/ognl.html

Nickar