Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Vincent Siveton <vs...@apache.org> on 2008/05/22 04:47:06 UTC

What is the official Eclipse repo layout (was: How to use central repo into an Eclipse project?)

Hi Arnaud and others,

What is the "official" Eclipse repo layout? According [1] and [2], [1]
seems the official. What others thinks?

For instance, with [1]
  <groupId>org.eclipse.equinox</groupId>
  <artifactId>app</artifactId>
and with [2]
   <groupId>org.eclipse.equinox</groupId>
  <artifactId>org.eclipse.equinox.app</artifactId>

Cheers,

Vincent

[1] mvn eclipse:to-maven
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-eclipse-plugin/to-maven-mojo.html

[2] mvn eclipse:make-artifacts
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-eclipse-plugin/make-artifacts-mojo.html

Re: What is the official Eclipse repo layout (was: How to use central repo into an Eclipse project?)

Posted by Igor Fedorenko <ig...@ifedorenko.com>.
I do agree with "artifactId == bundle symbolic name" (you meant "bundle
symbolic name", not "bundle id", right?) but I think there is more to it.

Consider the following four usecase

* Create new Maven artifact from existing eclipse/osgi bundle. This
happens when eclipse bundles are deployed into a maven repository, for
example.

* Create new eclipse/osgi bundle from existing maven artifact. This
happens when eclipse/osgi bundles are built from maven artifacts using
Felix/BND or Tycho.

* Reference eclipse/osgi bundle from maven project (i.e. as a dependency
in pom.xml). This is trivial if eclipse/osgi bundles have been deployed
into maven repository. Becomes slightly more interesting if we want to
consume bundles directly from P2 repository or local eclipse install.

* Reference existing maven artifact from eclipse/osgi bundle. This
usecase is particular tricky because there is no way I can think of to
derive groupId and classifier of the referenced artifact from
information available from manifest of this bundle. So we either need to
have one-to-one relationship between bundle symbolic name and
groupId/artifactId/classifier or instrument repository manager to
provide osgi-specific metadata.

Each of these usecase is relatively simple to address individually, but
things become more complicated if, for example, somebody wants to create
eclipse/osgi bundle from maven project using Tycho, then deploy this
bundle(!) into maven repository and reference it from another maven project.

Has anyone looked at making such roundtrip work?

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 22-May-08, at 8:10 AM, Tom Huybrechts wrote:

> Here's my 2c.
>
> - Bundle-SymbolicName = artifactId is a no-brainer IMHO
> - groupId should be the organization creating the bundle (so when
> converting an existing library, the organization that does the
> converting)
> - Bundle-Version = version - somebody once proposed dropping the
> qualifier but then you loose tracability

Here I'm also not opposed to just adopting OSGi versioning to make
life easier. I'm not sure there is any advantage to having N
versioning schemes.

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

and sit softly on your shoulder ...

-- Thoreau

Re: What is the official Eclipse repo layout (was: How to use central repo into an Eclipse project?)

Posted by Tom Huybrechts <to...@gmail.com>.
Here's my 2c.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by lukewpatterson <lu...@gmail.com>.
With the
	<groupId>org.eclipse.equinox</groupId>
	<artifactId>org.eclipse.equinox.app</artifactId>
example, it seems like the conventional configuration would become
	<groupId>someGroupId</groupId>
	<artifactId>${project.groupId}.someArtifactId</artifactId>.
Is that correct?

What should something like SWT look like?
	<groupId>org.eclipse.swt</groupId>
	<artifactId>org.eclipse.swt</artifactId>
	[1]
or
	<groupId>org.eclipse</groupId>
	<artifactId>swt</artifactId>
	[2]
or
	<groupId>org.eclipse</groupId>
	<artifactId>org.eclipse.swt</artifactId>
?

Relocation poms would be very helpful if any coordinates change during this
process.  As it is now, I have a lot of exclusion filters for my transitive
mixed-coordinate eclipse dependencies.

Thanks,

Luke

[1] - versions 3.2.0 and 3.2.1 @ http://repo1.maven.org/eclipse/
[2] - versions 3.3.0-v3339b, 3.3.0-v3345b and 3.3.0-v3346
@http://repo1.maven.org/eclipse/, versions 3.2.1-v3235e and 3.3.0-v3346
@http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/

Re: What is the official Eclipse repo layout (was: How to use central repo into an Eclipse project?)

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 21-May-08, at 9:23 PM, Barrie Treloar wrote:

> On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 1:06 PM, Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>
> wrote:
>> It's not very complicated what we discussed. Essentially it's
>> artifactId =
>> symbolic bundle id because you'll never be able to derive the
>> artifactId/groupId pair from a symbolic bundle id because you don't
>> know
>> where to split it. So avoid the complication of the mapping. The
>> groupId
>> would be use for organization in the repository but not important
>> in the
>> creation of the symbolic bundle id. What this means is that you could
>> directly retrieve a bundle into a running osgi container without
>> trying to
>> synthesize the bundle id which is a good thing.
>
> Next question then,
>
> when can we seed a maven repository with bundles?

Officially? When we agree. This was a casual discussion we had at
EclipseCon. Probably wouldn't take long. I imagine most issues could
be hashed out in a week and then we could try it in a test repository
on central.

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

believe nothing, no matter where you read it,
or who has said it,
not even if i have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason
and your own common sense.

-- Buddha

Re: What is the official Eclipse repo layout (was: How to use central repo into an Eclipse project?)

Posted by Vincent Siveton <vi...@gmail.com>.
2008/5/22, Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>:
> On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 1:06 PM, Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> wrote:
>  > It's not very complicated what we discussed. Essentially it's artifactId =
>  > symbolic bundle id because you'll never be able to derive the
>  > artifactId/groupId pair from a symbolic bundle id because you don't know
>  > where to split it. So avoid the complication of the mapping. The groupId
>  > would be use for organization in the repository but not important in the
>  > creation of the symbolic bundle id. What this means is that you could
>  > directly retrieve a bundle into a running osgi container without trying to
>  > synthesize the bundle id which is a good thing.
>

> Next question then,
>
>  when can we seed a maven repository with bundles?

http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/eclipse/
vs
http://repository.sonatype.org:8081/nexus/content/groups/maven-eclipse

Vincent

Re: What is the official Eclipse repo layout (was: How to use central repo into an Eclipse project?)

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 21-May-08, at 8:23 PM, Barrie Treloar wrote:

> On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 12:17 PM, Vincent Siveton
> <vs...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Hi Arnaud and others,
>>
>> What is the "official" Eclipse repo layout? According [1] and [2],
>> [1]
>> seems the official. What others thinks?
>
> Jason was meant to get back to the list about this.

It's not very complicated what we discussed. Essentially it's
artifactId = symbolic bundle id because you'll never be able to derive
the artifactId/groupId pair from a symbolic bundle id because you
don't know where to split it. So avoid the complication of the
mapping. The groupId would be use for organization in the repository
but not important in the creation of the symbolic bundle id. What this
means is that you could directly retrieve a bundle into a running osgi
container without trying to synthesize the bundle id which is a good
thing.

> I haven't noticed it yet, but I'm pretty blind when looking through
> mail headers :)

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

A party which is not afraid of letting culture,
business, and welfare go to ruin completely can
be omnipotent for a while.

-- Jakob Burckhardt

Re: What is the official Eclipse repo layout (was: How to use central repo into an Eclipse project?)

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
I believe it's the latter.

This is very reminiscent of the scenario encountered in NMaven - it
seems it makes most sense to specify it in the Maven using the first
format, but that the repository layout should use the fully qualified
name for the file itself.

Maybe a different repo layout is in order?

- Brett