Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Eugene Fabrikant <eu...@bluenog.com> on 2007/10/28 20:21:44 UTC

Running J2 in Eclipse

Hello All,

I've attempted to run Jetspeed in Eclipse as an imported web project,
with partial success.  I imported the portal build war and the j2-admin
portlets webapp as two separate web projects.  I proceeded to modify the
server.xml in the Eclipse server config to contain the appropriate
context parameters.

When I start the server from within Eclipse I'm able to get to the
portal homepage, however the portlet windows all say "Portlet
Application j2-admin not available".  The console reveals that the
j2-admin webapp is initialized.  When I enable DEBUG level logging in
the j2-admin webapp, it says the following:

2007-10-28 15:16:46,345 [Timer-2] INFO
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].[/j2-admin]
- JetspeedContainerServlet: attemping to start Portlet Application at:
j2-admin
2007-10-28 15:16:46,352 [Timer-2] INFO
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].[/j2-admin]
- JetspeedContainerServlet: Could not yet start portlet application at:
j2-admin. Starting back ground thread to start when the portal comes online.

So it looks like it's not seeing the portal itself.

Any ideas what this could be caused by?

As an aside, I'm able to run these very WARs in a standalone tomcat
instance with no issue.

TIA

--
Eugene Fabrikant
Bluenog

Re: Running J2 in Eclipse

Posted by Mansour <ma...@yahoo.com>.
Did you give it enough time to create a work directory?
If not, wait few more seconds and try to refresh the page.

Re: Running J2 in Eclipse

Posted by Eugene Fabrikant <eu...@bluenog.com>.
Hi Scott,

That would be a great help!  I totally understand The Deadline (tm) so
take your time.  :-)

Thanks,

Eugene

RE: Running J2 in Eclipse

Posted by "Weaver, Scott" <we...@ugs.com>.
Hi Eugene,

Re: Running J2 in Eclipse

Posted by Eugene Fabrikant <eu...@bluenog.com>.
David Sean Taylor wrote:

> On Oct 28, 2007, at 12:21 PM, Eugene Fabrikant wrote:
>
>> Hello All,
>>
>> I've attempted to run Jetspeed in Eclipse as an imported web project,
>> with partial success.  I imported the portal build war and the j2-admin
>> portlets webapp as two separate web projects.  I proceeded to modify the
>> server.xml in the Eclipse server config to contain the appropriate
>> context parameters.
>>
>> When I start the server from within Eclipse I'm able to get to the
>> portal homepage, however the portlet windows all say "Portlet
>> Application j2-admin not available".  The console reveals that the
>> j2-admin webapp is initialized.  When I enable DEBUG level logging in
>> the j2-admin webapp, it says the following:
>>
>> 2007-10-28 15:16:46,345 [Timer-2] INFO
>> org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].[/j2-admin]
>>
>> - JetspeedContainerServlet: attemping to start Portlet Application at:
>> j2-admin
>> 2007-10-28 15:16:46,352 [Timer-2] INFO
>> org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].[/j2-admin]
>>
>> - JetspeedContainerServlet: Could not yet start portlet application at:
>> j2-admin. Starting back ground thread to start when the portal comes
>> online.
>>
>> So it looks like it's not seeing the portal itself.
>>
>> Any ideas what this could be caused by?
>>
> Sounds like the Jetspeed webapp didn't start up
> I edit and remote debug from within Eclipse all the time, never had a
> problem with it
> In fact we provide .classpath with the project, but it requires that
> you have a Maven-1 or Maven-2 local repository
> Probably not optimal if you don't use Maven

We will do remote debugging if I can't get this to work, but I wanted to
try to do the portlet development completely within the context of the
Eclipse IDE to avoid deployment cycles.  Our builds, however, are done
using Maven-2.

If the Jetspeed webapp didn't start up, would I still be able to get to

Re: Running J2 in Eclipse

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.