Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by "Izzo, Graziano" <GI...@na.atos.it> on 2001/01/16 17:01:27 UTC

same sample of threads in xsp pages

Hi people, i try to implement thread in xsp page.
My problem is:
in my file.xml i call a select on a large db.
While it complete its work it useful for me
to have on a wap browser same message like
"wait please".

Could i have same  sample about this problem?

thanks a lot
Graziano

Re: same sample of threads in xsp pages

Posted by I-Chung Young <ic...@puma.mt.att.com>.
One of my colleague did that. He uses a combination of
thread and session. The page looks like (not exact page):

<xsp:page>
<xsp:logic>
//declare your thread class
class YourThread extends thread {
//it will put the database result in session using
// setAttribute("result", result) (result could be
// a vection or string, or filename of the output)
// setAttribute("status", "done");
}
</xsp:logic>
<page>
String status=session.getAttribute("status");
if (status==null) { // first time
  YourThread t = new YourThread(input);
  t.start(); // do the DB stuff
  session.setAttribute("status", start);
  <jump delay="50">
   <xsp:attribute name="href">request.getRequestURI()</xsp:attribute>
    <msg>Processing...</msg>
  </jump>
} else if (status=="start") { // thread not finished yet
  <jump delay="50">
   <xsp:attribute name="href">request.getRequestURI()</xsp:attribute>
    <msg>Waiting...</msg>
  </jump>
} else { // processing thread is done
  vector result=(vector)session.getAttribute("result");
  session.removeAttribute("result");
  // processing output
}
</page>
</xsp:page>

Then the XSL take care of the <jump> and translate into
<onevent timer> (or any equivalent in HDML/WML/HTML)
and refresh the page.

However, be aware that we have some occasion that the
client stuck at "waiting page" and the back end thread
seems to hang or disappear. It may be our own bug.

HTH.
I-Chung Young
ichung@puma.mt.att.com