Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Dmitry Baronov <db...@newsteam.ru> on 2015/05/21 15:48:20 UTC

local.cf, user_prefs etc

Hello folks!

I use 3.4.1 freebsd version with compiled rules.

Please, give me advice how I could use local config file to override
downloaded default values?

All my attemps were unsuccessful.

I placed local.cf and user_prefs files in /root/spamassassin
/etc/mail/spamassassin /usr/local/etc/mail/spamassassin
/usr/local/share/spamassassin - no way to replace default values like
blacklist_from  or required_score.

I need help :)

Rgds,

db

Re: local.cf, user_prefs etc

Posted by Dmitry Baronov <db...@newsteam.ru>.
Thanks a lot!

22.05.2015 15:40, Kevin A. McGrail пишет:
> On 5/22/2015 8:24 AM, RW wrote:
>> On Fri, 22 May 2015 08:13:05 -0400
>> Kevin A. McGrail wrote:

>>> Nothing in 3.4.x has removed any such feature.
>>>
>>> I would run spamassassin --version from the command line, confirm
>>> it's 3.4.x and then run:
>>>
>>> spamassassin -D --lint 2>&1 | grep LOCAL_RULES_DIR
>>>
>>> Look for this output and make sure your local.cf is in the correct
>>> directory:
>>>
>>> May 22 08:02:17.521 [6463] dbg: generic: Perl 5.008008,
>>> PREFIX=/usr/local, DEF_RULES_DIR=/usr/local/share/spamassassin,
>>> LOCAL_RULES_DIR=/etc/mail/spamassassin,

Re: local.cf, user_prefs etc

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <KM...@PCCC.com>.

Re: local.cf, user_prefs etc

Posted by RW <rw...@googlemail.com>.

Re: local.cf, user_prefs etc

Posted by Forrest <th...@gmail.com>.
On 5/22/15 8:13 AM, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:
> On 5/22/2015 4:35 AM, Dmitry Baronov wrote:
>> I use spamassassin with CommuniGatePro cgpsa helper, .
>>
>> With Spamassassin 3.3.2 I had ability to customize default values in
>> local.cf file.
>> With 3.4.x  I lost this ability i can't find again :/
> Nothing in 3.4.x has removed any such feature.
>
> I would run spamassassin --version from the command line, confirm it's
> 3.4.x and then run:
>
> spamassassin -D --lint 2>&1 | grep LOCAL_RULES_DIR
>
> Look for this output and make sure your local.cf is in the correct
> directory:
>
> May 22 08:02:17.521 [6463] dbg: generic: Perl 5.008008,
> PREFIX=/usr/local, DEF_RULES_DIR=/usr/local/share/spamassassin,
> LOCAL_RULES_DIR=/etc/mail/spamassassin,
> LOCAL_STATE_DIR=/var/lib/spamassassin
>
> You can also run spamassassin --lint to see if there are any errors in
> your local.cf, etc.
>
> Regards,
> KAM
Interestingly, SA puts mine /usr/local/perl-5.14.1/etc/mail/spamassassin

But, that doesn't account for the ~/.spamassassin/user_prefs file, which
I presume should be located anyhow, where I have my custom rules.   I
compiled SA from source using my own similarly-compiled perl, which is
probably why the PATH is funky here.

Thanks

Re: local.cf, user_prefs etc

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <KM...@PCCC.com>.

Re: local.cf, user_prefs etc

Posted by Dmitry Baronov <db...@newsteam.ru>.

Re: local.cf, user_prefs etc

Posted by Dave Funk <db...@engineering.uiowa.edu>.
On Thu, 21 May 2015, Dmitry Baronov wrote:

> Hello folks!
>
> I use 3.4.1 freebsd version with compiled rules.
>
> Please, give me advice how I could use local config file to override
> downloaded default values?
>
> All my attemps were unsuccessful.
>
> I placed local.cf and user_prefs files in /root/spamassassin
> /etc/mail/spamassassin /usr/local/etc/mail/spamassassin
> /usr/local/share/spamassassin - no way to replace default values like
> blacklist_from  or required_score.
>
> I need help :)
>
> Rgds,
>
> db

First, how are you using spamassassin?

Are you using the 'spamd' daemon and feeding it spam via "spamc" (from a
procmail receipt or a postfix filter, or a milter)?
Are you using the spamassassin program itself from procmail?
Are you using some kind of dedicated mail filtering package such as
mimedefang or amavis which instantiates an instance of spamassassin within
its own process via the spamassassin APIs?

The first two methods use the standard spamassassin config files, the last
one may ignore standard spamassassin config files and use its own.

For the first two you need to determine which config files are being used
as it's possible that your SA kit was built with non-standard internal settings.
Invoke spamassassin with the "--lint -D" flags and it will tell you which
config files it's using. The 'local' variants of the config files that it
says it's reading are the ones you want to modify.

For the last method you'll have to consult the relevant documentation.

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

Re: local.cf, user_prefs etc

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.
Am 21.05.2015 um 15:48 schrieb Dmitry Baronov:
> Hello folks!
>
> I use 3.4.1 freebsd version with compiled rules.
>
> Please, give me advice how I could use local config file to override
> downloaded default values?
>
> All my attemps were unsuccessful.
>
> I placed local.cf and user_prefs files in /root/spamassassin
> /etc/mail/spamassassin /usr/local/etc/mail/spamassassin
> /usr/local/share/spamassassin - no way to replace default values like
> blacklist_from  or required_score

did you restart SA after the changes?

no need to test blindly, the correct folder contains "init.pre" and
other .pre files and besides that Sa should not run as root
"/root/spamassassin" is wrong anyways because it would be
"/root/.spamassassin"