Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by kit-2 <da...@cusys.edu> on 2008/01/29 18:48:59 UTC

Calling JMeter from a Portlet App

Hello,

I am new to JMeter, and apologize if this has already been covered (I must
have missed it).  I am creating a JSR-168 Portlet to test System
Availability on several PeopleSoft environments and other applications.  My
initial thought was to use JMeter to log into each application, check for an
assertion, and log out - one iteration only.  If successful, then show the
system status as UP, otherwise DOWN.  I created my tests, and can run them
from both JMeter’s GUI, and the command line.

 I have been looking at the documentation and cannot determine how I should
use JMeter from my Portlet.  I am unclear if I should extend the
AbstractJavaSamplerClient, or use the new TestBean Framework, or simply run
a shell script to execute JMeter from the portlet.  Or, if I completely
missed the bus, and there is a better alternative to any of the
aforementioned solutions (or something other than JMeter that would suit my
needs).

Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Re: Calling JMeter from a Portlet App

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 29/01/2008, kit-2 <da...@cusys.edu> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am new to JMeter, and apologize if this has already been covered (I must
> have missed it).  I am creating a JSR-168 Portlet to test System
> Availability on several PeopleSoft environments and other applications.  My
> initial thought was to use JMeter to log into each application, check for an
> assertion, and log out - one iteration only.  If successful, then show the
> system status as UP, otherwise DOWN.  I created my tests, and can run them
> from both JMeter's GUI, and the command line.
>
>  I have been looking at the documentation and cannot determine how I should
> use JMeter from my Portlet.  I am unclear if I should extend the
> AbstractJavaSamplerClient, or use the new TestBean Framework, or simply run
> a shell script to execute JMeter from the portlet.

A shell script to run JMeter in non-GUI mode is the way to do it.

> Or, if I completely
> missed the bus, and there is a better alternative to any of the
> aforementioned solutions (or something other than JMeter that would suit my
> needs).

JMeter is perhaps overkill for this purpose - it's more suited to
running many samplers and threads.

You might find it easier to use something like HttpUnit or Canoo.

Posted by David Brown <da...@davidwbrown.name>.
If you can get your applications to output the XML then you could just use the JMeter Monitor (Health tab).

kit-2 wrote ..