Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Vivek Khera <kh...@kciLink.com> on 2000/04/03 18:13:00 UTC

Re: performance mongers: since when is using CGI.pm or Apache::Registrydishonorable?

GB> Does the size of CGI.pm really matter with mod_perl so much? If the module
GB> is pre-loaded prior to forking, wouldn't the memory for this module tend
GB> to be shared anyway? Or is there still a gradual hit to real memory as

Yes it is shared assuming you do it like this:

use CGI (); CGI->compile(':cgi');

where :cgi might be replaced with whatever tag set you commonly use.
Otherwise CGI.pm pulls in code as it runs, after the forking happens.

Personally, I feel that any memory wasted, despite being shared, is
waste.  That's why I only use the CGI interface part of CGI.pm...

Internet: khera@kciLink.com       Rockville, MD       +1-301-545-6996
PGP & MIME spoken here            http://www.kciLink.com/home/khera/