Posted to users@cxf.apache.org by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> on 2010/12/08 13:55:53 UTC

Latest IBM DeveloperWorks article

I just wanted to let everyone know about Dennis' latest article at IBM
DeveloperWorks:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/j-jws19/index.html?ca=drs

It's another well done article comparing CXF, Metro, and Axis2.

I won't spoil it, but I just want to say "well done" to the entire CXF team.
;-)

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org

Re: Latest IBM DeveloperWorks article

Posted by Dennis Sosnoski <dm...@sosnoski.com>.
I was especially impressed that you got the fixes to the problems from
the last article into the 2.3.1 release (which I tested yesterday and
added to the text).  :-) You and the whole team are doing a great job on
CXF, and I hope to get the chance to personally contribute to the
project in the future.

  - Dennis

Dennis M. Sosnoski
Java SOA and Web Services Consulting <http://www.sosnoski.com/consult.html>
Axis2/CXF/Metro SOA and Web Services Training
<http://www.sosnoski.com/training.html>
Web Services Jump-Start <http://www.sosnoski.com/jumpstart.html>

Posted by Dennis Sosnoski <dm...@sosnoski.com>.

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com>.
Just be thankful you have hair to get gray.  :)

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.
+1 ;-)  CXF rocks and thats it! ;-)

Jeff

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.
Andreas,

Honestly... its not misleading... this discussion really should be taken offline and go direct.  There are people who like WAS and people who absolutely hate it.  It can be argued all day about the merits of WAS and how great or sucky it is.... but probably not here.  Just my .02.  I would encourage you guys to have an email chat privately to work this out as this is really becoming a religious discussion more than the merits of the article.

Jeff

Posted by Dennis Sosnoski <dm...@sosnoski.com>.
On 12/09/2010 04:18 PM, Johan Edstrom wrote:
> Admittedly that thread was more entertaining.

:-)    Well, you won't see me discussing this most recent article on the
Axis2 list.

And yes, I've found Andreas to be very fair in his assessments and
against misleading people, even when the misleading statements are in
favor of a project he's personally involved in. That said, I agree that
discussing WAS on this list is rather far afield - though it would be
interesting all around to see how the current IBM security code
performance compares to WSS4J.

  - Dennis

Posted by Johan Edstrom <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Craig Tataryn <cr...@tataryn.net>.

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Craig Tataryn <cr...@tataryn.net>.

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 21:15, Dennis Sosnoski <dm...@sosnoski.com> wrote:
> On 12/09/2010 08:53 AM, Andreas Veithen wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 14:40, Craig Tataryn <cr...@tataryn.net> wrote:
>>
>>> That's great, his last article was very helpful at my last contract in saving me from implementing using "Web Services Pack for WAS" (aka Axis)
>>>
>> Interesting statement. Dennis' last articles were all about comparison
>> between CXF, Rampart and Metro. However, although IBM uses Axis2 as
>> the basis for their JAX-WS support in WAS 7.0 and in the Web services
>> feature pack for WAS 6.1, they're not using Rampart at all, but have
>> their own WS-Security implementation...
>>

> I haven't worked with WAS myself, but thought that might be the case.
> That's why I qualify my own rankings of the stacks in the latest article
> with " Also, the rankings apply only to the base open source projects;
> commercial stacks based on the open source versions may use their own
> security code and other extensions. You'll need to look at the
> differences between the commercial code and the open source base to see
> which parts of the rankings may apply."
>
> Andreas, why don't you add a comment to the article pointing out that
> the rankings don't apply to WAS for this reason?

I haven't read the entire article yet, but I don't think that you made
any statement that would suggest that the Axis2/Rampart performance
issue is inherited by WAS (in contrast to the misleading comment made
by Craig). Therefore (and because I'm not affiliated with IBM), I
don't see the need for this. What could be interesting though is to
run the performance tests on WAS. I don't know the details, but I
think they are not using WSS4J. I've even seen some WSS related stuff
deep down in their StAX implementation, which suggests that they did
some special optimizations for their implementation. Considering that
there are some performance issues (or better, areas for improvement)
in the encryption/decryption stuff used by WSS4J as well, such a test
may give some interesting results.

Posted by Dennis Sosnoski <dm...@sosnoski.com>.

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Craig Tataryn <cr...@tataryn.net>.