Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Asif Iqbal <iq...@qwestip.net> on 2004/10/04 00:25:59 UTC

Bug in SA 2.30?

I am not sure if it is a bug. Here is what I am experiencing.

The /etc/mail/spamassassin folder is 775 mode and spamd process owner is
in the part of the group of the spamassassin folder

But I had to change the owner of the bayes_* to the owner of the spamd
process to get rid of the bayes db R/O : tie failed error. Does not make
sense at all.

Also I am getting autolearn=failed. I became the owner of spamd process
and I were able to create a file on spamassassin folder. It really
smells like a bug.

Anyone else experienced it.

BTW my /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf says

bayes_path              /etc/mail/spamassassin/bayes
bayes_file_mode         0770

Thanks for any help/suggestion

--
Asif Iqbal
PGP Key: 0xE62693C5 KeyServer: pgp.mit.edu

Re: Bug in SA 2.30?

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
At 06:25 PM 10/3/2004, Asif Iqbal wrote:
>I am not sure if it is a bug. Here is what I am experiencing.
>
>The /etc/mail/spamassassin folder is 775 mode and spamd process owner is
>in the part of the group of the spamassassin folder
>
>But I had to change the owner of the bayes_* to the owner of the spamd
>process to get rid of the bayes db R/O : tie failed error. Does not make
>sense at all.
>
>Also I am getting autolearn=failed. I became the owner of spamd process
>and I were able to create a file on spamassassin folder. It really
>smells like a bug.
>
>Anyone else experienced it.
>
>BTW my /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf says
>
>bayes_path              /etc/mail/spamassassin/bayes
>bayes_file_mode         0770
>
>Thanks for any help/suggestion

1) You clearly are not running SA 2.30.. 2.30 didn't have bayes at all.
Bayes (and autolearn) wasn't added until 2.50.

         So what version are you really running?

2) It is a misconfiguration to configure bayes_path to anything not
involving ~/ without using bayes_file_mode 0777.

If you force a global bayes db, the owner of that file will change
constantly, because spamd runs as different users at different times. The
bayes DB MUST be globally RW if it's not in a path based on home directory.

The mask is also used in creating directories, so the mask has to be 777.

The directory itself must be globally rwx.

Re: Bug in SA 2.30?

Posted by Bob Proulx <bo...@proulx.com>.
Asif Iqbal wrote:
> The /etc/mail/spamassassin folder is 775 mode and spamd process owner is
> in the part of the group of the spamassassin folder

That folder should be 755.  But probably not your current problem.

> But I had to change the owner of the bayes_* to the owner of the spamd
> process to get rid of the bayes db R/O : tie failed error. Does not make
> sense at all.

The spamd user needs to be able to write the database to update it.
So that is correct.

> Subject: Bug in SA 2.30?

Please consider upgrading.  Version 2.30 was followed by 2.40, 2.50,
2.60, and now finally by the new 3.0.  So 2.30 represents having been
replaced four times with better versions.

Bob

Re: Bug in SA 3.0 (was Re: Bug in SA 2.30?)

Posted by Asif Iqbal <iq...@qwestip.net>.
On Mon, Oct 04, 2004 at 06:29:44AM, Asif Iqbal wrote:
> OOPS! I mistyped the version number
>
> This bug is part of SA 3.0
>
> On Sun, Oct 03, 2004 at 06:25:59PM, Asif Iqbal wrote:
> > I am not sure if it is a bug. Here is what I am experiencing.
> >
> > The /etc/mail/spamassassin folder is 775 mode and spamd process owner is
> > in the part of the group of the spamassassin folder
> >
> > But I had to change the owner of the bayes_* to the owner of the spamd
> > process to get rid of the bayes db R/O : tie failed error. Does not make
> > sense at all.
> >
> > Also I am getting autolearn=failed. I became the owner of spamd process
> > and I were able to create a file on spamassassin folder. It really
> > smells like a bug.

Wonder if I should downgrade the SA to fix the problem

Posted by Asif Iqbal <iq...@qwestip.net>.
On Mon, Oct 04, 2004 at 06:29:44AM, Asif Iqbal wrote:
> OOPS! I mistyped the version number
>
> This bug is part of SA 3.0
>
> On Sun, Oct 03, 2004 at 06:25:59PM, Asif Iqbal wrote:
> > I am not sure if it is a bug. Here is what I am experiencing.
> >
> > The /etc/mail/spamassassin folder is 775 mode and spamd process owner is
> > in the part of the group of the spamassassin folder
> >
> > But I had to change the owner of the bayes_* to the owner of the spamd
> > process to get rid of the bayes db R/O : tie failed error. Does not make
> > sense at all.
> >
> > Also I am getting autolearn=failed. I became the owner of spamd process
> > and I were able to create a file on spamassassin folder. It really
> > smells like a bug.
> >
> > Anyone else experienced it.
> >
> > BTW my /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf says
> >
> > bayes_path              /etc/mail/spamassassin/bayes

I moved the bayes path under qmailq's--the owner of spamd process--home
dir /var/qmail/ as .spamassassin like this

bayes_path	/var/qmail/.spamassassin/bayes

and now life is good.

It sure is a workaround of the subject BUG

Thanks

Posted by Asif Iqbal <iq...@qwestip.net>.