Posted to dev@spot.apache.org by Nathanael Smith <na...@apache.org> on 2017/03/06 19:22:03 UTC

Linking PR's to Jira issues

Is there a proper way to get the PR’s to link automatically to the appropriate jira?
I am sure it requires specific terms in either the commit message or a comment.

Any suggestions as to the right way to add to the notes of our website/docs?

- Nathanael

Re: Linking PR's to Jira issues

Posted by Mark Grover <ma...@apache.org>.
Good question!

Spark does it that way, if the PR has the issue key (usually at the
beginning), a comment and a link is automatically placed on the JIRA.

It looks like this is the default behavior. For example, see one of our
spot PRs <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPOT-23> which refers to
the JIRA number <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPOT-23> and the
link in the JIRA and the comment when a PR is made, shows up automatically.

So, I think for us, it's just a matter of standardizing our PR titles. I
really like Spark's standard way of doing PR titles:
The PR title should be of the form [SPARK-xxxx][COMPONENT] Title, where
SPARK-xxxx is the relevant JIRA number, ...

So, we can use something like
[SPOT-xxxx] [COMPONENT] Title

Thoughts?

Posted by "Zeolla@GMail.com" <ze...@gmail.com>.
On other apache projects we include the JIRA in the PR title to link.  For
instance a PR with the title of "SPOT-122 Add ingestor for DNS requests"
would automatically link to the SPOT-122 ticket in JIRA.  Not sure if this
requires any initial setup or if it is configured by default.

Jon

On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 2:22 PM Nathanael Smith <na...@apache.org> wrote:

> Is there a proper way to get the PR’s to link automatically to the
> appropriate jira?
> I am sure it requires specific terms in either the commit message or a
> comment.
>
> Any suggestions as to the right way to add to the notes of our
> website/docs?
>
> - Nathanael
>

> --

Jon