Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Herve Dumont <hd...@club-internet.fr> on 2001/02/18 10:52:19 UTC

Invoking.html.fr and server-wide.html.fr

Two new submissions
httpd-docs-1.3/htdocs/manual/invoking.html.fr and
httpd-docs-1.3/htdocs/manual/server-wide.html.fr

Maybe someone could commit my previous submissions if there is
no comments about htem.

Hervé

Re: Invoking.html.fr and server-wide.html.fr

Posted by "Jaime E . Villate" <vi...@fe.up.pt>.
On Sun, Feb 18, 2001 at 10:26:30AM -0800, Joshua Slive wrote:
> > One thing: make sure that you always use HTML entities such as &eacute;
> > and do not use ISO-8859-1 characters instead. There has been some
> > discussion on this list about a way to allow us to use ISO-8859-1
> > characters directly, which would certainly make our life easier,
> > but AFAIK no conclusion has been reached yet and we must still use
> > entities exclusively.
>
> Could you remind me of the issue?  I don't think there is any problem with
> adding the META tags to the HTML, as long as we also send proper HTTP
> headers.

I asked on the 31st of January:
"would it be OK if I added a
tag in the header of the pages I translate into Spanish?"

I got two affirmative and one negative answers:

1- "I agree wholeheartedly with your proposal."
William A. Rowe, Jr.

2- "No. You should use Apache's configuration directives to get the right
charset in the HTTP response header. <meta http-equiv> is an abomination."
Tony Finch

3- "Oh, rot.  For one thing, this is the docs project; he does not
*HAVE* control over the config settings of the server.  For
another, a valid point was already made about the tag's usefulness
in a file: environment.
I do not much care for the tag myself, but this is a good
example of when it is actually useful."
Ken.Coar

Altogether I assumed the consensus was to use the meta-tag. But If
there are any objections please let me know and we'll stop using it. As I
said, the big advantage of using latin1 characters is to ease the task of
reviewing language usage and being able to use spell-checkers without the
intermediate step of changing from html to latin1, which discourages some of
our less-technically oriented collaborators in the Spanish translation team.

Jaime Villate

Re: Invoking.html.fr and server-wide.html.fr

Posted by Eric Cholet <ch...@logilune.com>.
--On 21/02/01 00:23 +0100 Eric Cholet wrote:

> On 02/19/01 12:22:29 -0600 William A. Rowe, Jr. mumbled:

I didn't see any comments on this, for or against, so I'm about to
patch all .fr pages to use ISO-8859-1.

--
Eric Cholet
B995 E519 1594 10D0 4271 1EA5 8DF3 8004

Re: Invoking.html.fr and server-wide.html.fr

Posted by Eric Cholet <ch...@logilune.com>.

On 02/19/01 12:22:29 -0600 William A. Rowe, Jr. mumbled:

Bill

Re: Invoking.html.fr and server-wide.html.fr

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Mon, 19 Feb 2001, Eric Cholet wrote:
> "Jaime E . Villate" <vi...@fe.up.pt>:
>   would it be OK if I added a
>   tag in the header of the pages I translate into Spanish?
>
> "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>:
>   I agree wholeheartedly with your proposal.
>
> Tony Finch <do...@dotat.at> followed up:
>   No. You should use Apache's configuration directives to get the right
>   charset in the HTTP response header. <meta http-equiv> is an abomination.
>
> Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>:
>   Oh, rot.  For one thing, this is the docs project; he does not
>   *HAVE* control over the config settings of the server.  For
>   another, a valid point was already made about the tag's usefulness
>  in a file: environment.
>
> I haven't seen any further follow ups. So, is it okay or not to use
> the META w/ charset tag ? I notice that it's already in use in some
> translated files.

Thanks for the summary.  I'd say go ahead and use the charset unless you
see more strong objections.  My only concern is that you make sure that
the default Apache configuration also sends the proper thing in the HTTP
headers.  I can't remember what it is sending at the moment for these
documents, but I think it is iso-9959-1 already.

Joshua.

Re: Invoking.html.fr and server-wide.html.fr

Posted by Eric Cholet <ch...@logilune.com>.
(sorry for replying to myself, I know it' bad form)

--On 18/02/01 19:30 +0100 Eric Cholet mumbled:

Posted by Eric Cholet <ch...@logilune.com>.
On 02/18/01 10:26:30 -0800 Joshua Slive mumbled:
> On Sun, 18 Feb 2001, Eric Cholet wrote:
>
>> On 02/18/01 15:57:03 +0100 Herve Dumont mumbled:
>> > Maybe invoking.html should be renamed to invoking.html.en
>> > and added an invoking.html.html.
>>
>> Yes, Joshua's been doing this for other files.
>
> Oy, I hope this doesn't become "my job".  If nobody else gets around to
> it, I will do it eventually, but it is really a little bit of a pain.
> Would you be willing to do it if we had an "Adding a new translation"
> instruction document?  Perhaps Yoshiki (who is more of a cvs expert than
> me) and I could collaberate on that.

Oops, I didn't mean it that way... Sure, I'll do it for newly translated
pages following the way it's been done until now.

Posted by Joshua Slive <sl...@finance.commerce.ubc.ca>.

Posted by Eric Cholet <ch...@logilune.com>.
On 02/18/01 15:57:03 +0100 Herve Dumont mumbled:
> Maybe invoking.html should be renamed to invoking.html.en
> and added an invoking.html.html.

Yes, Joshua's been doing this for other files.

> Here is again :
> httpd-docs-2.0/manual/upgrading.html.fr,
> httpd-docs-1.3/manual/install.html.fr and
> httpd-docs-1.3/manual/index.html.fr

Committed, with the usual editing for typos and spelling.
One thing: make sure that you always use HTML entities such as &eacute;
and do not use ISO-8859-1 characters instead. There has been some
discussion on this list about a way to allow us to use ISO-8859-1
characters directly, which would certainly make our life easier,
but AFAIK no conclusion has been reached yet and we must still use
entities exclusively.

Thanks again for the great work,

--
Eric