Posted to dev@hivemind.apache.org by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> on 2006/03/19 19:12:53 UTC

Scrap module version?

It's beginning to feel to me like HiveMind module version is redundant
with a reasonable Maven 2 build (and I think most Java software will
build with Maven 2 in the near future, or Ant using Ivy).

We never implemented reasonable checks that the version matches
expectations; just that a version is provided and fits a (very
limited) format. I had originally wanted the <dependency> element to
handle this, with partial version matching.

Nowadays, my "less is more" philosophy says the version number
matching falls under the YAGNI category.  Possibly <dependency> as
well.

Thoughts?

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry

RE: Scrap module version?

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
I'm +1 on removing the "version" attribute requirement.

I agree.  We could never quite agree on how the version matching
should be specified so the only policy supported by <dependency> is
"exact version". However I don't think I've ever used it.

So +1 on making the version attribute at least optional.

--knut

Re: Scrap module version?

Posted by Knut Wannheden <kn...@gmail.com>.