Posted to users@groovy.apache.org by Dean Hiller <dh...@twitter.com> on 2019/07/01 15:52:42 UTC

trying to understand groovy's support for jdk9

I ran into the issue that slfj4j 2.0 + logback 1.3 is no longer supporting
the groovy stuff due to issues on the publishing of groovy jars or
something.  I opened this ticket on logback
https://jira.qos.ch/browse/LOGBACK-1474

I am now trying to either open a ticket on groovy or figure out what is the
issue.  I read this

https://markmail.org/thread/nekeppbvwrfl7hbb#query:+page:1+mid:obdyvuv24kqpxm6v+state:results
and
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/50163197/groovy-java-9-modules-support
(which seems very non-ideal and a huge amount of hacking to get it working)

I then don't see any tickets for groovy to support consumers of groovy jars
in jdk 9 either when I do a search

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GROOVY-8338?jql=project%20%3D%20GROOVY%20AND%20text%20~%20%22jdk%209%22

This project would also LOVE to start using jdk 9 modules and would like to
continue to use groovy github.com/deanhiller/webpieces

Should I open a jira ticket? or is there one that I could not find?

thanks,
Dean

Re: trying to understand groovy's support for jdk9

Posted by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>.
I haven't had time to look at your project code yet but some general
comments below.

Groovy is currently designed to be placed on the classpath not module path
with JDK9+.
The automatic module names have been there for a while now and we moved
files like "org.codehaus.groovy.source.Extensions" out of META-INF/services
some time back too.
Full module support is targeted for Groovy 4 (alphas due out soon).