Posted to test-dev@perl.apache.org by Jim Martinez <jj...@bigbigorg.org> on 2005/02/16 21:21:21 UTC

preload modules at sever startup

Hi,

I'm looking for some suggestions for a library problem with Apache::Test,
which I'm using to develop a web application.

Hope this is the place to ask.

Using Apache 1 and Mod perl 1, how can I preload perl modules at server
startup?

My extra.conf.in contains something like this:

PerlModule Foo::Bar
<Location /a >
  SetHandler perl-script
  PerlHandler Foo::Bar::myhandler
</Location>

"make test" fails to start apache.  The apache server won't start because
it can't find Foo::Bar, needed by the line "PerlModule Foo::Bar"

In the link below, I read about "PerlSwitches -I@ServerRoot@/../lib"

http://perl.apache.org/docs/general/testing/testing.html#Extending_Configuration_Setup

Is PerlSwitches for MP2 only?

In the link above I'd call the root development directory
/path/to/Apache-Amazing, just so that you understand what I mean by root
development directory.  Here is a listing of the root development
directory:

CVS/  Changes  MANIFEST  MANIFEST.OLD  MANIFEST_maybe  META.yml  Makefile
Makefile.PL  README  blib/  docs/  lib/  pm_to_blib  t/

Of course Foo::Bar is in lib/Foo/Bar.pm (until Apache::Test moves it to
blib/ )

If I set PERL5LIB to the root development directory, the "make test" runs
fine (well it shows me my programming errors is what I mean).

Should I create a starup.pl file that does something like:

BEGIN { use lib @ServerRoot@../lib }

Then and add lines to extra.conf.in to run startup.pl.

Or add a <perl> directive to extra.conf.in like:

<Perl>
  use lib '@ServerRoot@/../blib/lib'
</Perl>

Or is there a better way?  A hard coded path won't work in my situation
(which is why I use the @ServerRoot@).

Thanks in advance,
Jim

Re: preload modules at sever startup

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Jim Martinez wrote:

>>I know this list shift was/is confusing, though, so no problem.
>>hopefully we'll get archives for this list soon - marc has yet to put
>>them up.
>

> At the bottom of this testing html page:
>
> http://perl.apache.org/docs/general/testing/testing.html
>
> there is a boilerplate like comment "Have comments? Please send them to
> the modperl users mailing list."  that links to:
>
> http://perl.apache.org/maillist/modperl.html
>
> Maybe instead it should point to:
> http://perl.apache.org/maillist/test-dev.html
>
> Or if changing that link, which looks like a footer, is difficult, maybe
> there should be a mention of the test-dev list which links to the
> test-dev.html page.

Thanks for the suggestion, Jim.

I've added this section:
http://perl.apache.org/docs/general/testing/testing.html#Got_a_question_

Re: preload modules at sever startup

Posted by Jim Martinez <jj...@bigbigorg.org>.
On Feb 16 Geoffrey Young wrote:

> Jim Martinez wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm looking for some suggestions for a library problem with Apache::Test,
> > which I'm using to develop a web application.
>
> uh... you asked this question last week on test-dev@httpd.apache.org and
> I answered you:

I didn't receive a reply, so I thought it was yet another item that
slipped past the ethernet into the ether.  Sorry for the double post.

>   http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=110797072000007&r=1&w=2

I read it.  Thanks Geoff.

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.

Jim Martinez wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for some suggestions for a library problem with Apache::Test,
> which I'm using to develop a web application.

uh... you asked this question last week on test-dev@httpd.apache.org and I
answered you:

I know this list shift was/is confusing, though, so no problem.  hopefully
we'll get archives for this list soon - marc has yet to put them up.

anyone running an archive care to start compiling posts?  thanks.

--Geoff