Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@kiwi.ICS.UCI.EDU> on 1996/10/01 03:26:42 UTC

Re: cvs commit: apache/src http_main.c

Regarding making "httpd -h" more readable.

>   --- 1886,1893 ----
>         for(n=0 ; prelinked_modules[n] ; ++n)
>     	for(pc=prelinked_modules[n]->cmds ; pc && pc->name ; ++pc)
>     	    {
>   ! 	    printf("%s\n\t%s\n\t%s\n\t", pc->name, pc->errmsg ? pc->errmsg : "",
>   ! 	           module_names[t-n-1]);
>     	    show_overrides(pc,prelinked_modules[n]);
>     	    putchar('\n');
>     	    }

Adding newlines between the output makes it much easier to read, e.g.
===================
Action
        a media type followed by a script name
        action_module
        FdD
Script
        a method followed by a script name
        action_module
        ardD
BrowserMatch
        A browser regex and a list of variables.
        browser_module
        rd
===================
However, what does the last line show?  It is generated by

   show_overrides(pc,prelinked_modules[n]);

but there is no clue given as to what it means.  Examples are

   rd
   IdD
   FdD
   ardD
   aD
   LOFAIdD
   AD
   FdD
   OdD

I know why it is generated.  Could someone provide me with meaningful,
short names for the following structure (to replace the single chars)?

    struct {
        int override;
        char letter;
    } aOvers[]= {
          { OR_LIMIT,    'L' },
          { OR_OPTIONS,  'O' },
          { OR_FILEINFO, 'F' },
          { OR_AUTHCFG,  'A' },
          { OR_INDEXES,  'I' },
          { ACCESS_CONF, 'a' },
          { RSRC_CONF,   'r' },
          { (OR_ALL|RSRC_CONF)&~(OR_LIMIT|OR_AUTHCFG), 'd' },
                                                    /* outside <Directory> */
          { OR_ALL|ACCESS_CONF, 'D' },              /* inside <Directory> */
      };

My best guess would be two lines consisting of

	modifies: Limit, Options, FileInfo, AuthConfig, Indexes
	used  in: access.conf, srm.conf, inside/outside Directory or Location

Does that seem reasonable?

.....Roy

p.s. this conversation wouldn't be necessary if everyone understood that
     commenting their own code is a *good* thing.