Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com> on 2006/11/23 08:05:42 UTC

Deployed woden jar files

Hi,

last week or so, I have deployed jar files for Woden to

    /www/people.apache.org/repo/m2-ibiblio-rsync-repository

Consequently, they are now on repo1.maven.org as well.

Unfortunately, it was an error to do this: Woden is an Apache
Incubator project and the incubator community doesn't want the jar
files in the standard Maven repository. Even worse, if they do not
carry "incubator", or "incubating", in the name. Which is the case for
the files I have deployed.

I understand, that artifacts cannot be removed for technical reasons.
For example, I won't make any attempt to fix the POM files, which I
have deployed for Axis 2. However, this is a legal question: The
copyright owner (ASF via the incubator project) doesn't want the jar
files on ibiblio and never wanted to have them there.

Is it possible to remove the files in that case? I am referring to the
whole org.apache.woden directory.

Sorry for causing such trouble,

Jochen

murder, yes, but divorce, never.
(Jack Benny)

Re: Deployed woden jar files

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 11/23/06, Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> wrote:

> We don't like to remove things for consistency but we're not zealots
> about it. The originating project, if they wish, can have anything
> removed. Generally if people make mistakes in deploying it's not
> really a big deal to leave them there but in this case if the
> incubator policy is not to have them in the wild that's fine. I've
> removed the woden files from the central repository and stored them
> in a folder that is not visible.

Thank you!

Re: Deployed woden jar files

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
Hi,

We don't like to remove things for consistency but we're not zealots
about it. The originating project, if they wish, can have anything
removed. Generally if people make mistakes in deploying it's not
really a big deal to leave them there but in this case if the
incubator policy is not to have them in the wild that's fine. I've
removed the woden files from the central repository and stored them
in a folder that is not visible.

Jason.

Fwd: Deployed woden jar files

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

here's the mail I have written to the Maven developers list. I am not
CC'ing, so that mailing lists won't get mixed.

Jochen