Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Antony Grinyer <an...@csw.co.uk> on 2005/09/02 01:02:08 UTC

Memory monitor?

Can anyone recommend a decent memory monitor for Cocoon? I've
implemented a Java class transformer which runs queries against a native
XML database (DB XML). We've noticed a lot of memory gets eaten and not
freed when running the transformer to execute queries. I've waded
through the code and made sure all the usual re-initialisation and
freeing up of objects is enforced, and we know it's not at the database
end as we've run queries using the database shell command line
app...it's definitely an issue in the Cocoon transformer we believe.

Any recommendations please?

Thanks in advance,
Ant

Re: Memory monitor?

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.
Antony Grinyer wrote:

>Can anyone recommend a decent memory monitor for Cocoon? I've
>implemented a Java class transformer which runs queries against a native
>XML database (DB XML). We've noticed a lot of memory gets eaten and not
>freed when running the transformer to execute queries. I've waded
>through the code and made sure all the usual re-initialisation and
>freeing up of objects is enforced, and we know it's not at the database
>end as we've run queries using the database shell command line
>app...it's definitely an issue in the Cocoon transformer we believe.
>
>Any recommendations please?

Try altrmi. It is in the cocoon distribution:

http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/cocoon/branches/BRANCH_2_1_X/tools/instrumentation/readme.txt?view=markup

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.

Re: Memory monitor?

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.
Antony Grinyer wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a decent memory monitor for Cocoon? I've
> implemented a Java class transformer which runs queries against a native
> XML database (DB XML). We've noticed a lot of memory gets eaten and not
> freed when running the transformer to execute queries.

You need 'profiler', 'java memory profiler'. Get eval from here:

   http://www.yourkit.com/download/index.jsp

Vadim