Posted to user@spark.apache.org by YaoPau <jo...@gmail.com> on 2014/11/08 01:40:40 UTC

SparkPi endlessly in "yarnAppState: ACCEPTED"

I'm using Cloudera 5.1.3, and I'm repeatedly getting the following output
after submitting the SparkPi example in yarn cluster mode
(http://www.cloudera.com/content/cloudera/en/documentation/core/latest/topics/cdh_ig_running_spark_apps.html)
using:

spark-submit --class org.apache.spark.examples.SparkPi --deploy-mode cluster
--master yarn
$SPARK_HOME/examples/lib/spark-examples_2.10-1.0.0-cdh5.1.3.jar 10

Output (repeated):

14/11/07 19:33:05 INFO Client: Application report from ASM:
	 application identifier: application_1415303569855_1100
	 appId: 1100
	 clientToAMToken: null
	 appDiagnostics:
	 appMasterHost: N/A
	 appQueue: root.yp
	 appMasterRpcPort: -1
	 appStartTime: 1415406486231
	 yarnAppState: ACCEPTED
	 distributedFinalState: UNDEFINED

I'll note that spark-submit is working correctly when running with "master
local" on the edge node.

Any ideas how to solve this?

Re: SparkPi endlessly in "yarnAppState: ACCEPTED"

Posted by jayunit100 <ja...@gmail.com>.
Sounds like no free yarn workers. i.e. try running:

hadoop-mapreduce-examples-2.1.0-beta.jar pi 1 1

We have some smoke tests which you might find particularly usefull for yarn clusters as well in https://github.com/apache/bigtop, underneath bigtop-tests/smoke-tests which are generally good to
run on any basic hadoop cluster when you first set it up.

Often if a Yarn job hangs in accepted state, it is waiting for resources to free up to start the tasks...