Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Juergen Heckel <JH...@t-online.de> on 2002/06/09 12:17:21 UTC

Problems with Apache 2.0.3.x as service on WinXP

Hi,
I have since v2.0.32 these two problems despite of the newest patches:

"Fix the working directory *for WinNT/2K/XP services only* to
change to the Apache directory (one level above the location
of Apache.exe, in the case that Apache.exe resides in bin/.)
Solves the case of ServerRoot /foo paths where /foo was not
on the same drive as /winnt/system32.  [William Rowe]"

First,
I'm the admin, the Apache service has admin rights, no problems when
Apache runs as console app., and no problem when Apache runs as service
on a Win2000 server; only XP makes troubles.

1. If Directory points to a mapped network drive (e.g. R:) the service
does not start:
   Syntax error: <Directory "r:"> path is invalid.

2. If DocumentRoot points to a mapped network drive (e.g. R:) the
service does not start:
   Syntax error: DocumentRoot must be a directory.

UNC-names are accepted instead of the mapped drives (local drives are ok
too),
but now mod_perl.so does not load:
The Apache service named  reported the following error:
>>> Cannot load F:/Apache2/modules/mod_perl.so into server: The module was not found.
and PHP has similar problems.
Therefore I have to use mapped drivenames.

Juergen

Re: Problems with Apache 2.0.3.x as service on WinXP

Posted by Juergen Heckel <JH...@t-online.de>.
"William A. Rowe, Jr." wrote:

>> Syntax error: <Directory "r:/"> path is invalid.
>> Syntax error: DocumentRoot must be a directory
>
> I will give you that this _IS_ a problem.  That's like the system
> responding that
> <Directory "/"> is invalid, while of course it is just fine.
>
> Will research by tonight, perhaps this can be fixed by .38 :-)

Hi,
fine, I'm waiting for a solution since v2.0.32:-(

If you would send me one or two diffs I can test it for you.
Again, this problem occures only on WinXP and Apache startet as service,
with Win2000 there is all OK.

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by Juergen Heckel <JH...@t-online.de>.
"William A. Rowe, Jr." wrote:

> Juergen,
>
>    Yes, <Directory "r:"> isn't even a path.  Try <Directory "r:/">.  Same
> for DocumentRoot.  "r:" says "The current working directory, on r:" which
> is absolutely meaningless for a service (and too vague for general practice.)

Hi,
thank you,
but this does not solve the problem with Apache:
Syntax error: <Directory "r:/"> path is invalid.
Syntax error: DocumentRoot must be a directory

I tried of course all combinations ( R:, R:/, R:\, r:, r:/, r:\).
Only local drives will be accepted.
This worked until Apache v2.0.32 AND works on a Win2000 server as
service!

I searched in core.c, but it is useless for me to find anything there:-(

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Juergen,