Posted to dev@airavata.apache.org by Shameera Rathnayaka <sh...@apache.org> on 2016/07/25 21:21:18 UTC

Refactor JIRA Component list

Hi Devs,

Airavata 0.16 is hot off the press, and now latest code refers as
0.17-SNAPSHOT.  Let's do some refactoring to the JIRA component list. Some
of them are outdated and some components are not in the list. Let's decide
what is the best component list to be available in JIRA.

Here is my initial suggestion :

*Api-Server* - All API server related issues goes under this component
*Orchestrator* - All Orchestrator related issues
*Monitoring* - All monitoring related issues
*Messaging* - All messaging related issues
*GFac* - All Task execution related issues
*Registry* - All app catalog, exp catalog, credential store, replica
catalog related related issues.
*Cloud *- All Cloud related issues goes here.
*Security* - All security related issues.
*Workflow* - All workflow related issues.
*Integration-Test*- All Integration test related issues
*Unit-Test* - All unit test related issues.
*Client* - All client related issues ex: Desktop client, python
client(jupyter) etc ...
*PGA* - All PGA related issues.
*Web-Site* - All web site related issues.
*Documents* - All cwiki and document related issues.
*Release* - Any issue with release goes under this.
*Labs* - All research level issues goes under this.
*Dev-Tools* - All development tools (docker, ansible etc ...) related
issues goes under this.

Feedback is most welcomed.

Thanks,
Shameera.

Re: Refactor JIRA Component list

Posted by Shameera Rathnayaka <sh...@gmail.com>.
Seems most of other apache projects use "-" instead of "_" in their
component names, (e.g: storm
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STORM/?selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.jira-projects-plugin:components-panel>
 zookeeper
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZOOKEEPER/?selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.jira-projects-plugin:components-panel>
).
Any particular reason you want to use "_" instead of "-"?

Thanks,
Shameera.

On Thu, Aug 4, 2016 at 12:15 PM Pamidighantam, Sudhakar V <
spamidig@illinois.edu> wrote:

> [...]
> Sudhakar.
>
> On Aug 4, 2016, at 10:58 AM, Shameera Rathnayaka <sh...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Hi Amila,
>
> Thanks for your feedback, agree with your 1 and 2 thoughts, let's remove
> those two components.
>
> What I mean by dev-tools is Ansible deployment scripts, Docker Images and
> etc ... . For an example If there any issue with Airavata ansible scripts
> then it should go under this dev-tools components.
>
> Thanks,
> Shameera.
>
> On Thu, Aug 4, 2016 at 11:42 AM Amila Jayasekara <th...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Some feedback as follows;
>>
>> 1. Unit-test should not be a separate component. Every component must
>> have unit tests and issues with unit tests must go into the
>> respective component.
>> 2. The release should also not be a separate component. Every component
>> should have a release version, and issues should go into that release
>> version.
>> 3. I am not very clear why we have a separate component called dev-tools.
>> To me, it seems dev-tools are not part of airavata, so issues with
>> dev-tools should go to (report) the relevant project. Also, if the issue is
>> related to configurations, it should go to the respective component. e.g.,-
>> distribution.
>>
>> Thanks
>> -Thejaka
>>

>> On Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 5:21 PM, Shameera Rathnayaka <shameera@apache.org
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Devs,
>>>
>>> Airavata 0.16 is hot off the press, and now latest code refers as
>>> 0.17-SNAPSHOT.  Let's do some refactoring to the JIRA component list. Some
>>> of them are outdated and some components are not in the list. Let's decide
>>> what is the best component list to be available in JIRA.
>>>
>>> Here is my initial suggestion :
>>>
>>> *Api-Server* - All API server related issues goes under this component
>>> *Orchestrator* - All Orchestrator related issues
>>> *Monitoring* - All monitoring related issues
>>> *Messaging* - All messaging related issues
>>> *GFac* - All Task execution related issues
>>> *Registry* - All app catalog, exp catalog, credential store, replica
>>> catalog related related issues.
>>> *Cloud *- All Cloud related issues goes here.
>>> *Security* - All security related issues.
>>> *Workflow* - All workflow related issues.
>>> *Integration-Test*- All Integration test related issues
>>> *Unit-Test* - All unit test related issues.
>>> *Client* - All client related issues ex: Desktop client, python
>>> client(jupyter) etc ...
>>> *PGA* - All PGA related issues.
>>> *Web-Site* - All web site related issues.
>>> *Documents* - All cwiki and document related issues.
>>> *Release* - Any issue with release goes under this.
>>> *Labs* - All research level issues goes under this.
>>> *Dev-Tools* - All development tools (docker, ansible etc ...) related

Shameera Rathnayaka

Re: Refactor JIRA Component list

Posted by Shameera Rathnayaka <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Amila,

wrote:

> Some feedback as follows;
>
> 1. Unit-test should not be a separate component. Every component must have
> unit tests and issues with unit tests must go into the respective component.
> 2. The release should also not be a separate component. Every component
> should have a release version, and issues should go into that release
> version.
> 3. I am not very clear why we have a separate component called dev-tools.
> To me, it seems dev-tools are not part of airavata, so issues with
> dev-tools should go to (report) the relevant project. Also, if the issue is
> related to configurations, it should go to the respective component. e.g.,-
> distribution.
>
> Thanks
> -Thejaka
>

> On Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 5:21 PM, Shameera Rathnayaka <sh...@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Devs,
>>
>> Airavata 0.16 is hot off the press, and now latest code refers as
>> 0.17-SNAPSHOT.  Let's do some refactoring to the JIRA component list. Some
>> of them are outdated and some components are not in the list. Let's decide
>> what is the best component list to be available in JIRA.
>>
>> Here is my initial suggestion :
>>
>> *Api-Server* - All API server related issues goes under this component
>> *Orchestrator* - All Orchestrator related issues
>> *Monitoring* - All monitoring related issues
>> *Messaging* - All messaging related issues
>> *GFac* - All Task execution related issues
>> *Registry* - All app catalog, exp catalog, credential store, replica
>> catalog related related issues.
>> *Cloud *- All Cloud related issues goes here.
>> *Security* - All security related issues.
>> *Workflow* - All workflow related issues.
>> *Integration-Test*- All Integration test related issues
>> *Unit-Test* - All unit test related issues.
>> *Client* - All client related issues ex: Desktop client, python
>> client(jupyter) etc ...
>> *PGA* - All PGA related issues.
>> *Web-Site* - All web site related issues.
>> *Documents* - All cwiki and document related issues.
>> *Release* - Any issue with release goes under this.
>> *Labs* - All research level issues goes under this.
>> *Dev-Tools* - All development tools (docker, ansible etc ...) related
>> issues goes under this.
>>
>> Feedback is most welcomed.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Shameera.