Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Gladys Christopher-Knight <gl...@saicmodis.com> on 2004/09/22 16:19:57 UTC

Build configuration records

Hello,

I am new to the list and new to Subversion. Actually, we are still
using ClearCase and haven't converted to Subversion yet, but will be
in the next six months or so. I find ClearCase's clearmake feature to
be invaluable, my question --  is there a Subversion equivalent to
Clearmake? If not, what are some make tools to consider that would
produce a configuration record of my generated objects (.o's .exe's)?

TIA,
Gladys

Re: Build configuration records

Posted by Brad Appleton <br...@bradapp.net>.
On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 12:19:57PM -0400, Gladys Christopher-Knight wrote:
> I am new to the list and new to Subversion. Actually, we are still
> using ClearCase and haven't converted to Subversion yet, but will be
> in the next six months or so. I find ClearCase's clearmake feature to
> be invaluable, my question --  is there a Subversion equivalent to
> Clearmake? If not, what are some make tools to consider that would
> produce a configuration record of my generated objects (.o's .exe's)?

Take a look at Cons or SCons and ODIN. There may
be a few others that Are opensource as well. See
<http://www.software-x.com/software/dependency.html>
for a list of free and commercial tools that can do
this sort of thing.

--
Brad Appleton <br...@bradapp.net> www.bradapp.net

Re: Build configuration records

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
Edvard Majakari wrote:
> "Max Bowsher" <ma...@ukf.net> writes:
>
>> That would be me.
>
> My apologies for the laziness :)
>
> [...]
>> It removes the files just fine for me, so please don't say never.
>> I'd be interested to hear if you discover whatever weirdness is causing
>> it
>> not to work properly for you.
>
> I'm sorry. I didn't mean to say it doesn't work for you (or with others) -
> that it never works for me. I thought I'd look at it more carefully now,
> and realized it really handles DRYRUN correctly. Then I echoed what rm
> gets in $i
>
> if [ -z "$DRYRUN" ]; then
>      rm -vrf "$i"
> fi
>
> and realized there's extra whitespace in front of every $i. The reason was
> then quickly found: sed only removed the first two whitespaces. Replacing
>
> for i in `${SVN-svn} status --no-ignore "$@" | sed -n 's/^[I\?]  //p'`
>
> with
>
> for i in `${SVN-svn} status --no-ignore "$@" | sed -n 's/^[I\?]  *//p'`
>
> made the script work for me. Thanks for the script!

You're welcome!

Your modification above will cause the script to break on files whose names
begin with spaces - unlikely, but possible. The correct number of spaces is
6. That is what I have in my copy of the script. Apparently my mailer ate
the extra spaces when I sent it.

Max.

Re: Build configuration records

Posted by Edvard Majakari <ed...@staselog.com>.
"Max Bowsher" <ma...@ukf.net> writes:

> That would be me.

My apologies for the laziness :)

[...]
> It removes the files just fine for me, so please don't say never.
> I'd be interested to hear if you discover whatever weirdness is causing it
> not to work properly for you.

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to say it doesn't work for you (or with others) -
that it never works for me. I thought I'd look at it more carefully now,
and realized it really handles DRYRUN correctly. Then I echoed what rm
gets in $i

 if [ -z "$DRYRUN" ]; then
      rm -vrf "$i"
 fi

and realized there's extra whitespace in front of every $i. The reason was
then quickly found: sed only removed the first two whitespaces. Replacing

for i in `${SVN-svn} status --no-ignore "$@" | sed -n 's/^[I\?]  //p'`

with

for i in `${SVN-svn} status --no-ignore "$@" | sed -n 's/^[I\?]  *//p'`

made the script work for me. Thanks for the script!

--
# Edvard Majakari		Software Engineer
# PGP PUBLIC KEY available    	Soli Deo Gloria!

$_ = '456476617264204d616a616b6172692c20612043687269737469616e20'; print
join('',map{chr hex}(split/(\w{2})/)),uc substr(crypt(60281449,'es'),2,4),"\n";

Re: Build configuration records

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
Edvard Majakari wrote:
> Gladys Christopher-Knight <gl...@saicmodis.com> writes:
>

>> six months or so. I find ClearCase's clearmake feature to be invaluable,
>> my question --  is there a Subversion equivalent to Clearmake? If not,
>> what are some make tools to consider that would produce a configuration
>> record of my generated objects (.o's .exe's)?
>
> It depends on how you would like it. Not far ago someone submitted a
> simple script which removed every file not under subversion control,
> similar to cvspurge in CVS.

That would be me.

Posted by Edvard Majakari <ed...@staselog.com>.
Gladys Christopher-Knight <gl...@saicmodis.com> writes:

> six months or so. I find ClearCase's clearmake feature to be invaluable,
> my question --  is there a Subversion equivalent to Clearmake? If not,
> what are some make tools to consider that would produce a configuration
> record of my generated objects (.o's .exe's)?

It depends on how you would like it. Not far ago someone submitted a
simple script which removed every file not under subversion control,
similar to cvspurge in CVS. Using that with -n switch would only print the