Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Robert Buck <rb...@mathworks.com> on 2002/05/28 20:15:40 UTC

dumb simple data types question

It seems to me that several other XML parsers (SAX or DOM), even Xerces-J,
use string constants for the primitive data types. And those other
implementations seem to use the names as indicated by the XML Schema
specification. But in Xerces-C different names are used. For instance,
instead of "decimal", Xerces-C uses "Decimal". There are several other
cases too.

Is there any reason why someone did this? Would there be an opposition to
changing Xerces to be consistent with the names in the XML Schema spec? It
just seems that Xerces-C is the odd-ball implementation out there, with
everyone else standardizing on the names presented by the W3.

I am layering my application in such a way that will enable me to swap out
Xerces-C for any other parser (perhaps Xerces-J). And I could just compare
strings ignoring case, but to be painfully picky, "Decimal" is different
from "decimal".

Does anyone else have any thoughts on the matter?

Bob

Re: dumb simple data types question

Posted by Robert Buck <rb...@mathworks.com>.
Sorry for the confusion. It turns out that the example that I have been
basing some of my code upon (SEnumVal) actually spits out the wrong string
values instead of using the schema symbols constants.

Sorry about that. I am updating my source to use the schema symbols
constants instead.

Bob

Posted by Khaled Noaman <kn...@ca.ibm.com>.
Bob,