Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Schorre, Bjoern" <b....@krause.de> on 2004/11/12 11:41:27 UTC

Creating subfolders using files

Hi,

How can I use the option --file in the subcommand mkdir? The file, which
format is it?

-----------------------
svn mkdir --file <FileName> <PathToWorkingCopy>

Re: Creating subfolders using files

Posted by Gary Feldman <g1...@marsdome.com>.
Schorre, Bjoern wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How can I use the option --file in the subcommand mkdir? The file, which
> format is it?

The --file option is used to specify the log comment for the change, as
an alternative to using the -m (or --message) option to specify it on
the command line.  This can be confusing with the mkdir command, because
it can work two ways:  It can create the directory in your working copy,
which won't need a log message until you actually commit it, or it can
create the directory immediately in the repository, which does need the
log message at that time (since there is no separate commit step in this
case).

I suspect that you may really want the --targets option, which lets you
specify the files on which to operate (as opposed to the file containing
the text of the log comment).  I haven't tried this with the mkdir
command, so you may want to experiment on a scratch repository.  My
assumption is that you put each new directory on a line by itself.  I
wouldn't try to mix working copy and repository paths in the same file,
and if creating a hierarchy, I'd put them in order, e.g.
     .../newdir
     .../newdir/newSubdir
     .../newdir/newSubdir/newSubSubdir

I keep a scratch repository on my desktop for trying out things like
this (using file:... to refer to the repository).

Gary