Posted to user@openmeetings.apache.org by Peter-Otto Weber <cy...@hotmail.de> on 2020/04/28 16:42:03 UTC

Arrange Videos

O.K. so far i think that this product really is a very good alternative to commercial products.

There's still many details that might be optimized but over all - i like OM !!!

And i want to thank all those people making this possible!!!

One thing could be discussed:

If we have many videos - let's say 20 guests in a presentation - could there be something like a "table" with all Videos arranged in?

So that there's more "order" in the videos and they do not arrange over the presentation / whiteboard?

Maybe programmed like an overlay / div that can be switched on or of? So that i can decide if i want to see the videos?

Thinking so far - what about having a feature only showing the "moderator's" video and the video of the person talking?

Yepp - this will be hard if many people want to talk but what if the moderator has a little "area table" where he can see if one is requesting the word and he just click on the one he wants to allow?

So in the case the moderator allows a question the sound and the video of this person is shown below the moderator?

Like a "Name with one column table" with a speaker icon for "i want to talk", a green check mark for "allowed to talk" and an empty field for "no action"?

And if moderator clicks the next "speaker" automatically the current speaker is disabled?

I'd really like OM tob e able to use video with large groups as the chat function is not the best for asking questions in a classical "stundent / teacher" situation.

What do you think about this ideas?

POW

Re: Arrange Videos

Posted by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com>.
Glad you like it!

"If we have many videos – let’s say 20 guests in a presentation – could
there be something like a „table“ with all Videos arranged in?"
=> We discussed this topic many times. And I think there is some fix to
arrange them more grid like in latest Snapshot. But its not a 100% fix. And
its also very difficult to make people happy on this. Cause some people
prefer whiteboard sessions, some video, some have 10 videos on, some just
1. Thats why there are room types. It really depends on the type of
meeting. Are you going to present in front of 100 people in classroom
style, or is it a collaboration with 4-5 people.
There is one fix here Maxim done:
https://github.com/apache/openmeetings/commit/98a32d61dc681ad719c4f32382f098acae5a478c
Not sure how much this will change though the default behaviour.

As for the other questions others may answer or I have to first read it
more carefully.

Cheers
Seb

Sebastian Wagner
https://www.linkedin.com/in/sebastianwagner/

Re: Arrange Videos

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, 28 Apr 2020 at 23:42, Peter-Otto Weber <cy...@hotmail.de> wrote:

> O.K. so far i think that this product really is a very good alternative to commercial products.
>

> There’s still many details that might be optimized but over all – i like OM !!!
>

> And i want to thank all those people making this possible!!!
>

> One thing could be discussed:
>

> If we have many videos – let’s say 20 guests in a presentation – could there be something like a „table“ with all Videos arranged in?

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENMEETINGS-2314
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENMEETINGS-2167
And there is configurable HotKey to arrange video pods

> So that there’s more „order“ in the videos and they do not arrange over the presentation / whiteboard?
>

> Maybe programmed like an overlay / div that can be switched on or of? So that i can decide if i want to see the videos?

So as a teacher you will be happy with option student can turn you off? :)))

> Thinking so far – what about having a feature only showing the „moderator’s“ video and the video of the person talking?

Something like "follow the speaker" mode ?

> Yepp – this will be hard if many people want to talk but what if the moderator has a little „area table“ where he can see if one is requesting the word and he just click on the one he wants to allow?
>

> So in the case the moderator allows a question the sound and the video of this person is shown below the moderator?
>

> Like a „Name with one column table“ with a speaker icon for „i want to talk“, a green check mark for „allowed to talk“ and an empty field for „no action“?
>

> And if moderator clicks the next „speaker“ automatically the current speaker is disabled?
>

> I’d really like OM tob e able to use video with large groups as the chat function is not the best for asking questions in a classical „stundent / teacher“ situation.
>

> What do you think about this ideas?

Maybe you can share your ideas as design mocks? pictures?

--
Best regards,
Maxim