Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Bryan Ellis <el...@gmail.com> on 2018/09/11 06:14:35 UTC

Status of Next Major

Hey, how is everyone doing?

As it is getting closer to the middle of September, I wanted to catch up
and get a status update on how everyone is doing for the next major.

Blow, I re-listed out the idea items for next major goals that were
mentioned in a previous email.
*https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/cordova-dev/201808.mbox/%3CCA+z8NA-tQJqqAFR0fJni7PzRG7LP3O0CbpqSytFHWYZefQb=-A@mail.gmail.com%3E
<https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/cordova-dev/201808.mbox/%3CCA+z8NA-tQJqqAFR0fJni7PzRG7LP3O0CbpqSytFHWYZefQb=-A@mail.gmail.com%3E>*

I also want to point out that these items and others on next next major
were added to the *"Apache Cordova: Next Release Planning and Tracking"*
project board. *https://github.com/orgs/apache/projects/2
<https://github.com/orgs/apache/projects/2>*

*Done*
*====*
* Remove usage of cordova-registry-mapper from tooling
* Remove all old `--no-fetch` code
* Refactor the cordova-fetch code to improve performance
* Android: Adaptive Icons support
* iOS: Fix for automatic provisioning
* iOS: Improved Swift support
* iOS: Fix CocoaPods Pathing Issue & Xcode 10 build (
https://github.com/apache/cordova-ios/pull/398)

*In Progress*
*===========*
* iOS: CocoaPods Support Improvement (
https://github.com/apache/cordova-ios/issues/391)
* Drop node 4 support from all repos
* Drop committed node_modules from all platform repos
* iOS: Bridge WebView plugin for WKWebView transition
* Update the Hello Cordova starter to work with WKWebView & safe areas

*To Do*
*=====*
* Commit package-lock.json in repos
* iOS: Anything required for iOS 12 support
* Android: Bring whitelist in-platform

*Observation Items (Not an original task)*
*=====*
 * ios-deploy: Xcode 10 & iOS 12 issue (ImportError: cannot import name
_remove_dead_weakref)

Re: Status of Next Major

Posted by ra...@gmail.com.
I'm open to having an extended discussion about that. Although we should
probably do that in the appropriate thread:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/7f92561d382f143aaf49e083bbe215dcf95a3f4d8b6e3cbb6089a5f3@%3Cdev.cordova.apache.org%3E

Re: Status of Next Major

Re: Status of Next Major

Posted by Jan Piotrowski <pi...@gmail.com>.
Definitely milestone - this is exactly what they are meant to be used
for. No need to abuse either issues or project boards.

If naming of a release is unclear at the time of preparation, we can
just call it "next release" and rename after the release is done.

> To follow up on my last message:
>
> To track release-blocking tasks in the different repos, we could use issues
> (example for cordova-osx [1]), repo-local boards or even milestones.
> Any opinions?
>
> [1]: https://github.com/apache/cordova-osx/issues/58
>
> Am Mi., 12. Sep. 2018 um 12:59 Uhr schrieb <ra...@gmail.com>:
>
>> What do you mean by "all packages"? These reports were for cordova-osx
>> only.
>>
>> However, I agree that the major of cordova-osx (and any other package)
>> should include a dependency update. That is also a part of our release docs
>> [1]
>>
>> [1]:
>> https://github.com/apache/cordova-coho/blob/master/docs/platforms-release-process.md#resolve-any-outdated-dependencies
>>
>> Am Mi., 12. Sep. 2018 um 12:53 Uhr schrieb Chris Brody <
>> chris.brody@gmail.com>:
>>
>>> I have a doubt since I did see report messages that one of the packages
>>> (cordova-osx) has security issues in its dependencies. While I would not
>>> expect this to cause a real security problem I would like to see it fixed
>>> in master branch of all packages before shipping a major release.

>>> completed
>>> From
>>> agreed

>>> first
>>> plan

>>> https://github.com/apache/cordova-coho/blob/master/docs/tools-release-process.md#get-buy-in

>>> up

>>> https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/cordova-dev/201808.mbox/%3CCA+z8NA-tQJqqAFR0fJni7PzRG7LP3O0CbpqSytFHWYZefQb=-A@mail.gmail.com%3E
>>> > >

>>> https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/cordova-dev/201808.mbox/%3CCA+z8NA-tQJqqAFR0fJni7PzRG7LP3O0CbpqSytFHWYZefQb=-A@mail.gmail.com%3E

>>> major
>>> Tracking"*

>>> name

Re: Status of Next Major

Posted by ra...@gmail.com.
To follow up on my last message:

To track release-blocking tasks in the different repos, we could use issues
(example for cordova-osx [1]), repo-local boards or even milestones.
Any opinions?

[1]: https://github.com/apache/cordova-osx/issues/58

Am Mi., 12. Sep. 2018 um 12:59 Uhr schrieb <ra...@gmail.com>:

> What do you mean by "all packages"? These reports were for cordova-osx
> only.
>
> However, I agree that the major of cordova-osx (and any other package)
> should include a dependency update. That is also a part of our release docs
> [1]
>
> [1]:
> https://github.com/apache/cordova-coho/blob/master/docs/platforms-release-process.md#resolve-any-outdated-dependencies
>
> Am Mi., 12. Sep. 2018 um 12:53 Uhr schrieb Chris Brody <
> chris.brody@gmail.com>:
>
>> I have a doubt since I did see report messages that one of the packages
>> (cordova-osx) has security issues in its dependencies. While I would not
>> expect this to cause a real security problem I would like to see it fixed
>> in master branch of all packages before shipping a major release.
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 5:36 AM <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Hey Bryan,
>> >
>> > thanks for following up on the release planning.
>> >
>> > As some of you may have noticed, yesterday (in my time zone) we
>> completed
>> > quite a few chores that needed to be done for the next major release.
>> From
>> > my perspective there's nothing that keeps us from starting to release.
>> > Sure, there's tons of stuff that would be nice to have, but we all
>> agreed
>> > that it would be good to produce a new major ASAP.
>> >
>> > I think we just have to start the process. We have to do the releases in
>> > order anyway and there is the buy-in phase [1] for each release, so any
>> > blockers will surface when it's the turn of the respective repo. The
>> first
>> > release that would have to be done is cordova-common. I made a release
>> plan
>> > issue [2] to track the progress and define the necessary release order.
>> >
>> > Any feedback is appreciated.
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> > Raphael
>> >
>> > [1]:
>> >

>> https://github.com/apache/cordova-coho/blob/master/docs/tools-release-process.md#get-buy-in
>> > [2]: https://github.com/apache/cordova/issues/10

>> up

>> https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/cordova-dev/201808.mbox/%3CCA+z8NA-tQJqqAFR0fJni7PzRG7LP3O0CbpqSytFHWYZefQb=-A@mail.gmail.com%3E
>> > >

>> https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/cordova-dev/201808.mbox/%3CCA+z8NA-tQJqqAFR0fJni7PzRG7LP3O0CbpqSytFHWYZefQb=-A@mail.gmail.com%3E

>> major
>> Tracking"*

>> name

Re: Status of Next Major

Posted by ra...@gmail.com.

Re: Status of Next Major

Posted by Chris Brody <ch...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> > * iOS: Improved Swift support
> > * iOS: Fix CocoaPods Pathing Issue & Xcode 10 build (
> > https://github.com/apache/cordova-ios/pull/398)
> >
> > *In Progress*
> > *===========*
> > * iOS: CocoaPods Support Improvement (
> > https://github.com/apache/cordova-ios/issues/391)
> > * Drop node 4 support from all repos
> > * Drop committed node_modules from all platform repos
> > * iOS: Bridge WebView plugin for WKWebView transition
> > * Update the Hello Cordova starter to work with WKWebView & safe areas
> >
> > *To Do*
> > *=====*
> > * Commit package-lock.json in repos
> > * iOS: Anything required for iOS 12 support
> > * Android: Bring whitelist in-platform
> >
> > *Observation Items (Not an original task)*
> > *=====*
> >  * ios-deploy: Xcode 10 & iOS 12 issue (ImportError: cannot import name

Re: Status of Next Major

Posted by ra...@gmail.com.