Posted to users@jackrabbit.apache.org by "Palmer, Tom" <To...@usi.com> on 2010/10/26 23:26:53 UTC

JCR and workflow

We're designing a CMS using JCR and contemplating various approaches to
workflow management.  It seems that matching workspaces to workflow
states makes quite a bit of sense.  So we would have a 'draft' workspace
where all editing is done, a 'pending approval' workspace, a 'published'
workspace, etc.  Some questions:

*         Does this make sense or is there a better approach or best
practice?

*         If we promote from workspace to workspace via
Workspace.clone() I assume we won't be modifying any of the associated
version information - right?

Thanks much -

- Tom

Confidentiality Notice and Disclaimer: This e-mail transmission may
contain confidential and/or proprietary information of AT&T that is
intended only for the individual or entity named in the e-mail address.
disclosure, copying, distribution, or reliance upon the contents of this
e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail
transmission in error, please reply to the sender, so that AT&T can
arrange for proper delivery, and then please delete the message from
your inbox. Thank you.

Re: JCR and workflow

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
On 10/26/10 11:26 PM, Palmer, Tom wrote:
> We're designing a CMS using JCR and contemplating various approaches to
> workflow management.  It seems that matching workspaces to workflow
> states makes quite a bit of sense.  So we would have a 'draft' workspace
> where all editing is done, a 'pending approval' workspace, a 'published'
> workspace, etc.  Some questions:
>
> *         Does this make sense

I think the problem with this approach is that if your workflow is
changing, then
you also need to change your workspaces.

Also if you want to use different kind of workflows for different
repository nodes,
then this approach will also lead to difficulties.

> or is there a better approach or best
> practice?

I would suggest to attach workflow nodes to each node or even each
revision of a node.
See for example for inspiration how such workflow instances could be
implemented

http://www.yanel.org/en/documentation/workflow/index.html

HTH

Michael