Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com> on 2011/06/01 02:59:28 UTC

Podling "publicity" guidelines and release announcements

Greets,

I'm confused about when this directive applies:

    http://incubator.apache.org/guides/branding.html#activities

    Publicity activities

    Podlings MUST coordinate with the Apache Public Relations Committee on all
    publicity activities by a podling.

    The open source space can be difficult to negotiate even for experienced
    professionals. The Apache Public Relations Committee understands this space
    and it is in the best interests of all that they are consulted.

As the Lucy podling prepares to make our inaugural release, we're planning on
sending out notifications to a few places:

    * perlmonks.org
    * perlbuzz.com
    * A few Perl-Mongers regional email lists, e.g. the Portland Perl Mongers.

By my read of that branding policy page, these notifications would seem to
qualify as "publicity activities", and require that we clear our release
announcement with the PRC.  And yet, I don't recall seeing a lot of discussion
about such things on general@incubator.a.o in the last year, while many
product releases have been made.

Searching backwards for "publicity" in the archives, I found a post from Jukka
Zitting about CouchDB's initial Incubator release from 2008 that seems
germane.

    http://markmail.org/message/iwxdlyf75vkz277t

    On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 9:07 PM, Craig L Russell <Cr...@sun.com> wrote:
    On Jun 24, 2008, at 10:52 AM, Noah Slater wrote:
    > > Do I have to run them past someone?
    > >
    > Yes, the PRC at apache dot org needs to approve all announcements.

    Press releases yes, release announcements no. If PRC has the cycles I guess
    they wouldn't mind reviewing also important release announcements, but so far
    I have only seen the PRC asserting oversight over formal press releases.

Also this, earlier in the thread, from Paul Freemantle:

    http://markmail.org/message/x7aaesdo4wnl3v7b

    and otherwise its a good idea to list it on some general sites like
    slashdot, infoq, tss, ohloh, etc. But that is all up to you.

In the end, it looks like the CouchDB folks, as represented by Noah Slater,
went to the PRC after all.

My rough takeaway is that because this is Lucy's inaugural release and we're
planning on sending out announcements via some non-Apache venues, we're in a
borderline situation.  Our release resembles a product launch, but it's an
0.1.0 release, not 1.0.0, and we're targeting lower-key channels consumed by
developers rather than IT management.

My inclination is to just move forward without going to the PRC for now, but
consider requesting PRC review when we e.g. launch a 1.0.0 stable release or
graduate from the Incubator, situations which might justify a more aggressive
marketing campaign.  Does that sound reasonable?

Cheers,

Marvin Humphrey

Re: Podling "publicity" guidelines and release announcements

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
Well I guess they are related to each other after all, but IMHO there
is a very slight difference between them. AFAIU the PRC regulations
that they are afraid of any misleading publicity or obligations that
might outcome from incorrect publicity activity more specifically if
this kind of publicity will get in touch with business org(s),
companies or any other entity that can sue ASF for such mis-leaded
information. This is at least how I understand it.

But I also agree with Joe, that any ASF project needs to reach more
_technical_ communities trying to attract more contributors or more
people interested to use that project to give us feedback which will
lead eventually to either bug fixing or more features to be added.

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 10:19 AM, Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk> wrote:
> Also, distinguish between 'press' activity and just trying to get more
> devs on board.
>
> You need to tell people about your project if you want it to grow, but
> that is a different business to seeking 'publicity'.
>
> Make sense?
>
> Upayavira
>
> On Tue, 31 May 2011 18:13 -0700, "Joe Schaefer" <jo...@yahoo.com>
> wrote:

Thanks
- Mohammad Nour
- Blog: http://tadabborat.blogspot.com
----
- Albert Einstein

than your best."

"Stay hungry, stay foolish."
- Steve Jobs

Re: Podling "publicity" guidelines and release announcements

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.