Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by David Arthur <da...@apache.org> on 2020/04/15 20:15:32 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Apache Kafka 2.5.0

The Apache Kafka community is pleased to announce the release for Apache
Kafka 2.5.0

This release includes many new features, including:

* TLS 1.3 support (1.2 is now the default)
* Co-groups for Kafka Streams
* Incremental rebalance for Kafka Consumer
* New metrics for better operational insight
* Upgrade Zookeeper to 3.5.7
* Deprecate support for Scala 2.11

All of the changes in this release can be found in the release notes:
https://www.apache.org/dist/kafka/2.5.0/RELEASE_NOTES.html

You can download the source and binary release (Scala 2.12 and 2.13) from:
https://kafka.apache.org/downloads#2.5.0

Apache Kafka is a distributed streaming platform with four core APIs:

** The Producer API allows an application to publish a stream records to
one or more Kafka topics.

** The Consumer API allows an application to subscribe to one or more
topics and process the stream of records produced to them.

** The Streams API allows an application to act as a stream processor,
consuming an input stream from one or more topics and producing an
output stream to one or more output topics, effectively transforming the
input streams to output streams.

** The Connector API allows building and running reusable producers or
consumers that connect Kafka topics to existing applications or data
systems. For example, a connector to a relational database might
capture every change to a table.

With these APIs, Kafka can be used for two broad classes of application:

** Building real-time streaming data pipelines that reliably get data
between systems or applications.

** Building real-time streaming applications that transform or react
to the streams of data.

Apache Kafka is in use at large and small companies worldwide, including
Capital One, Goldman Sachs, ING, LinkedIn, Netflix, Pinterest, Rabobank,
Target, The New York Times, Uber, Yelp, and Zalando, among others.

A big thank you for the following 108 contributors to this release!

A. Sophie Blee-Goldman, Adam Bellemare, Alaa Zbair, Alex Kokachev, Alex
Leung, Alex Mironov, Alice, Andrew Olson, Andy Coates, Anna Povzner, Antony
Stubbs, Arvind Thirunarayanan, belugabehr, bill, Bill Bejeck, Bob Barrett,
Boyang Chen, Brian Bushree, Brian Byrne, Bruno Cadonna, Bryan Ji, Chia-Ping
Tsai, Chris Egerton, Chris Pettitt, Chris Stromberger, Colin P. Mccabe,
Colin Patrick McCabe, commandini, Cyrus Vafadari, Dae-Ho Kim, David Arthur,
David Jacot, David Kim, David Mao, dengziming, Dhruvil Shah, Edoardo Comar,
Eduardo Pinto, Fábio Silva, gkomissarov, Grant Henke, Greg Harris, Gunnar
Morling, Guozhang Wang, Harsha Laxman, high.lee, highluck, Hossein Torabi,
huxi, huxihx, Ismael Juma, Ivan Yurchenko, Jason Gustafson, jiameixie, John
Roesler, José Armando García Sancio, Jukka Karvanen, Karan Kumar, Kevin Lu,
Konstantine Karantasis, Lee Dongjin, Lev Zemlyanov, Levani Kokhreidze,
Lucas Bradstreet, Manikumar Reddy, Mathias Kub, Matthew Wong, Matthias J.
Sax, Michael Gyarmathy, Michael Viamari, Mickael Maison, Mitch,
mmanna-sapfgl, NanerLee, Narek Karapetian, Navinder Pal Singh Brar,
nicolasguyomar, Nigel Liang, NIkhil Bhatia, Nikolay, ning2008wisc, Omkar
Mestry, Rajini Sivaram, Randall Hauch, ravowlga123, Raymond Ng, Ron
Dagostino, sainath batthala, Sanjana Kaundinya, Scott, Seungha Lee, Simon
Clark, Stanislav Kozlovski, Svend Vanderveken, Sönke Liebau, Ted Yu, Tom
Bentley, Tomislav, Tu Tran, Tu V. Tran, uttpal, Vikas Singh, Viktor
Somogyi, vinoth chandar, wcarlson5, Will James, Xin Wang, zzccctv

We welcome your help and feedback. For more information on how to
report problems, and to get involved, visit the project website at
https://kafka.apache.org/

Thank you!

Regards,
David Arthur

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Kafka 2.5.0

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
Thanks David for driving the release! Congrats all.

Guozhang

--
-- Guozhang

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Kafka 2.5.0

Posted by Mickael Maison <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Navinder Brar <na...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Konstantine Karantasis <ko...@confluent.io>.

Posted by Randall Hauch <rh...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, David!

Posted by Sönke Liebau <so...@opencore.com.INVALID>.
Thanks David!!

Posted by Bill Bejeck <bb...@gmail.com>.
David,

Posted by "Matthias J. Sax" <mj...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Matthias J. Sax" <mj...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Arthur <da...@apache.org>.
I've just published a blog post highlighting many of the improvements that
landed with 2.5.0.

https://blogs.apache.org/kafka/entry/what-s-new-in-apache2

-David

Posted by Boyang Chen <re...@gmail.com>.
Thanks David for taking this initiative, great work!

Posted by "Matthias J. Sax" <mj...@apache.org>.
Vinay,

It is up to your personal judgment if you "trust" an x.0 release or not.
The RC was carefully tested and 2.5.0 was release as "general available"
what guarantee a certain level of stability. Of course, there could
always be unknown bug.

About upgrading from 2.1 to 2.5: please consult the upgrade nodes of all
intermediate versions to see what changes accumulated over time.

-Matthias

Posted by Vinay Kumar <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by David Arthur <da...@apache.org>.