Posted to dev@age.apache.org by Eya Badal <ey...@apache.org> on 2022/01/06 20:14:31 UTC

[DISCUSS] Committer Requirements

Hello everyone,

As recommended by our mentors I would like to get community feedback and thoughts on committer requirements. I think we should discuss this and document the requirements.

Best regards,
Eya

Re: [DISCUSS] Committer Requirements

Posted by Dehowe Feng <de...@apache.org>.
I agree with quantifying the contributions.  We could also take into consideration the "quality" of the contributions as well. Are they making significant contributions

Posted by Josh Innis <jo...@bitnine.net>.
For example Kokou Afidegnon https://github.com/afidegnum has not made a
code commit yet, but has been very helpful in error finding and building
out processes.

Posted by Josh Innis <jo...@bitnine.net>.

Posted by John Gemignani <jg...@apache.org>.
How about -

Posted by Young Seung Andrew Ko <yo...@gmail.com>.
I suppose anyone having given regular suggestions about the AGE's roadmap
or what other technologies AGE needs to be integrated with can be regarded
as a committer.
AGE belongs to the community not just limited to those who have put the
codes in.

Andrew Ko

Re: [DISCUSS] Committer Requirements

Posted by Eya Badal <ey...@apache.org>.
As recommended by mentors I am keeping this discussion open. Please let us know your thoughts on committer requirements.

Posted by Eya Badal <ey...@apache.org>.

Posted by Muhammad Usama <m....@agedb.io>.
I agree with most of the points mentioned above While in my opinion knowledge
of the code base and of the core concept of the product should be weighted
most among other requirements. Since the committer(s) has the
responsibility and authority to accept the code changes so it is very
important that the person has a complete understanding and knowledge of the
product and able to identify if the code/feature they are going to commit
would not break some seemingly unrelated feature or behavior. So IMHO an
ideal candidate would be the one who has good indepth knowledge of
PostgreSQL and Apache AGE, along with that an active contributor (either in
terms of code contributions, testing or discussions) to the community.

The reason I feel an overall understanding of the architecture is most
important is because, a few years back I was honored with the committer
responsibilities for Pgpool-II (https://www.pgpool.net) project. And what I
have learned during that period is most of the contributions the
community receives are of good code quality and solves the problem in hand,
the aspect that lacks  at times, especially from new contributors is the
understanding of how the piece of code they are contributing will affect
the overall product.

Best regards,
Muhammad Usama

Posted by Alex Kwak <em...@apache.org>.

Posted by Eya Badal <ey...@apache.org>.
Community please find the finalized committer requirements. Thank you for all your feedback and time.

Committer Requirements:

1-Continuous contributions to AGE:
Committers should have a decent amount of continuous engagement and contributions (fixing bugs, writing documentation, or answering community questions) to AGE either by contributing on GitHub Repos, documentation and mailing list, etc

+3 months with light activity and engagement.
+2 months of medium activity and engagement.
+1 month with solid activity and engagement.

2-Quality of contributions:
Well tested, well-designed, following Apache AGE coding standards, and simple patches.

3-Community involvement:
Committers should support the development and advancement of AGE in different areas. They should also be active on the dev and user list and help mentor newer contributors and users. They should also be active in the design road map discussions with a professional and diplomatic approach, even if there is a disagreement.

Thank you,
Eya

Posted by John Gemignani <jr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eya Badal <ey...@apache.org>.
Thank you to anyone who contributed to this discussion. I would like to finalize the committer requirements guideline based on the discussions from this thread.

Please following find the requirements:

1-Continuous contributions to AGE:
Committers should have a decent amount, at least 4 continuous monthly engagement and contributions (fixing bugs, writing documentation, answering community questions) to AGE either by contributing on GitHub Repos, documentation and mailing list, etc

2-Quality of contributions:
Well tested, well-designed, following Apache AGE coding standards, and simple patches.

3-Community involvement:
Committers should support the development and advancement of AGE in different areas. They should also be active on the dev and user list and help mentor newer contributors and users. They should also be involved in the design road map discussions with a professional and diplomatic approach even if there is a disagreement.