Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Torsten Schlabach <ts...@apache.org> on 2005/03/25 13:43:28 UTC

[Proposal] Merge publication.xml with publication.xconf

Dear all,

is there a good reason to keep publication.xml (which among others
contains the name of the publication) and config/publication.xconf are two
separate files?

Would anyone object against merging the content of publication.xml into
config/publication.xconf in order to use the Avalon mechanisms to read the
content from the Java layer?

Regards,
Torsten

Re: [Proposal] Merge publication.xml with publication.xconf

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Michael Wechner wrote:
> Torsten Schlabach wrote:
>
>> Should we keep the
>>
>> xmlns:lenya="http://apache.org/cocoon/lenya/publication/1.0"
>>
>> or change it to
>>
>> xmlns:lenya="http://apache.org/lenya/publication/1.1"
>>

> +1

+1

[...]

>> I think in xconf files the default is not to have any particular
>> namespaes, isn't it?

It's optional:

http://excalibur.apache.org/apidocs/org/apache/avalon/framework/configuration/DefaultConfigurationBuilder.html#DefaultConfigurationBuilder(boolean)

-- Andreas

Re: [Proposal] Merge publication.xml with publication.xconf

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Torsten Schlabach wrote:

>Should we keep the
>
>xmlns:lenya="http://apache.org/cocoon/lenya/publication/1.0"
>
>or change it to
>
>xmlns:lenya="http://apache.org/lenya/publication/1.1"

+1

>or drop the namespace?

-1

>I think in xconf files the default is not to have any particular
>namespaes, isn't it?

I think we should introduce a namespace.

Thanks

Michi

>Regards,
>Torsten
>

>>Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:

>>>+1 (make sure to scan the code for places that look for
>>>publication.xconf, and change accordingly, including stylesheets)
>>>

>>i meant publication.xml. some of the ant tasks for the build look for
>>it, for instance

Michael Wechner

Re: [Proposal] Merge publication.xml with publication.xconf

Posted by Torsten Schlabach <ts...@apache.org>.
Should we keep the

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Torsten Schlabach wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> is there a good reason to keep publication.xml (which among others
> contains the name of the publication) and config/publication.xconf are two
> separate files?
>
> Would anyone object against merging the content of publication.xml into
> config/publication.xconf in order to use the Avalon mechanisms to read the
> content from the Java layer?

+1 for merging it.

I understand Michis concerns, but IMO they are outweighed by the advantage
of storing all publication-related information in a single place.

-- Andreas

Re: [Proposal] Merge publication.xml with publication.xconf

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Torsten Schlabach wrote:

>Dear all,
>
>is there a good reason to keep publication.xml (which among others
>contains the name of the publication) and config/publication.xconf are two
>separate files?

I guess this is for historical reasons and also that it is accessed
by two different roles:

- publication.xconf: Configuration of Pub
- publication.xml:   Description of Pub

>Would anyone object against merging the content of publication.xml into
>config/publication.xconf in order to use the Avalon mechanisms to read the
>content from the Java layer?

0 because I am not sure if it makes sense to merge all of it. Because
it fullfills different purposes it might make sense to keep
parts of it separated.

Michi

>Regards,
>Torsten