Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Dave Moore <da...@epals.com> on 2000/07/12 00:57:54 UTC

[ ANNOUNCE ] Apache::PerlVINC v0.02

All,

ok. after much twiddling and tweaking, I have finished a version of
Apache::PerlVINC that I feel comfortable with. I changed _alot_ of things
in it. maybe too much. i thought it would be nice if _everybody_ had a
chance to flame me, so I am including a link so you can download it and
try it.

http://dave.devel.epals.com/misc/Apache-PerlVINC-0.02.tar.gz

Apache::PerlVINC is a module that allows multiple versions of a script or
module to run on the same server. It works by reloading the specified
files at request. Because of this, it is meant for use only in a
development environment.

I totally revamped the directives. I removed the PerlVersionINC On/Off
directive. I didn't see the need for it once DIR_CREATE is involved.
Secondly, I traded the use of PerlRequire with PerlVersion. the reasoning
behind this was so that if the file wasn't there, the server would still
start. Also, this way you dont have to worry about setting PERL5LIB or
"use lib 'xxx'". I thought it might make things easier and more intuitive.
if I am wrong, Im sure i'll hear about it.

I think my biggest concern is for all the people using it already; it
doesn't work like it used to. They will have to change their config
directives to upgrade. Is that really a big deal? Also, the docs that Stas
Bekman wrote will be outdated by this release. I can spruce those up if
necessary.

If I receive no response, I will assume either everyone likes it or nobody
cares, and I will publish it to CPAN.

dave
--
Dave Moore
Web Application Developer

ePALS Classroom Exchange
http://www.epals.com/
The world's largest online classroom community -
Connecting over 27,000 classrooms in 130 countries!

Re: [ ANNOUNCE ] Apache::PerlVINC v0.02

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
On Tue, 11 Jul 2000, Dave Moore wrote:

> All,
>
> ok. after much twiddling and tweaking, I have finished a version of
> Apache::PerlVINC that I feel comfortable with. I changed _alot_ of things
> in it. maybe too much. i thought it would be nice if _everybody_ had a
> chance to flame me, so I am including a link so you can download it and
> try it.
>
> http://dave.devel.epals.com/misc/Apache-PerlVINC-0.02.tar.gz
>
> Apache::PerlVINC is a module that allows multiple versions of a script or
> module to run on the same server. It works by reloading the specified
> files at request. Because of this, it is meant for use only in a
> development environment.
>
> I totally revamped the directives. I removed the PerlVersionINC On/Off
> directive. I didn't see the need for it once DIR_CREATE is involved.
> Secondly, I traded the use of PerlRequire with PerlVersion. the reasoning
> behind this was so that if the file wasn't there, the server would still
> start. Also, this way you dont have to worry about setting PERL5LIB or
> "use lib 'xxx'". I thought it might make things easier and more intuitive.
> if I am wrong, Im sure i'll hear about it.
>
> I think my biggest concern is for all the people using it already; it
> doesn't work like it used to. They will have to change their config
> directives to upgrade. Is that really a big deal? Also, the docs that Stas
> Bekman wrote will be outdated by this release. I can spruce those up if
> necessary.

I'll gladly update those if you send me the updated info. Thanks!

mailto:stas@stason.org   http://perl.org     http://stason.org/TULARC
http://singlesheaven.com http://perlmonth.com http://sourcegarden.org