Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Eric Tschetter <ec...@gmail.com> on 2012/03/22 19:54:35 UTC

Kafka 0.6-RC2 -> 0.7 migration

Hello Kafka users,

We've been using Kafka 0.6-RC2 with no problems for a while now and
are now looking to actually catch up with the rest of the Kafka world.
 I was wondering if these versions are backwards compatible.
Specifically, I'm wondering about the compatibility of the on-disk
messages and the client APIs.  I'm wondering if there are any
conversion steps to upgrade the data (or if I need to update clients
first or something like that), or should I just be able to update my
jars at will and have things continue to work?

I've been looking around a bit and haven't found too much detail about
this, so I decided to ask here.  If this is documented somewhere,
please feel free to point me to that.

--Eric

Re: Kafka 0.6-RC2 -> 0.7 migration

Posted by Chris Burroughs <ch...@gmail.com>.
I did the consumer-->broker-->producer upgrade and it went without any
problems that I can recall now, but it was in a pre-production
environment so take that with a grain of result.

Please let us know how it goes for you.

Re: Kafka 0.6-RC2 -> 0.7 migration

Posted by Neha Narkhede <ne...@gmail.com>.
Hey Eric,

Nice to hear from you ! :-)

The wire and disk format changed to accomodate the compression
feature. The upgrade path is documented here, so is the new format -
http://people.apache.org/~nehanarkhede/kafka-0.7.0-incubating/RELEASE-NOTES.html

Hope that helps,
Neha