Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by "Randall J. Parr" <RP...@TemporalArts.COM> on 2001/12/12 15:41:12 UTC

best to start with 1.1.3 or 1.2 ?

I want to start using Log4J in a project
(currently in development, production in 1-3 months)

I would prefer to start and learn using the newer 1.2 version
which is, as I understand it, much closer to the logging
to be included in Java 1.4.

1) Is Log4J 1.2 ready or will very shortly be ready for this?

2) If not, is moving from 1.1.3 to 1.2 (or Java 1.4)
primarily new names or is it major change?

3) Is there any rough ideas about the 1.2 roadmap?

Thank you
R.Parr
Temporal Arts

Diffrent appenders for each Priority

Posted by Nitin Agarwal <ag...@apar.com>.
I want to use diffrent appenders for each priority for the Root Category.
For example I want three Apeenders for Root Category say A1, A2 and A3

I want to log all the DEBUG messages into a file debug.log
All the Info messages into another file info.log
and all the error messages into error.log.

I can do that with specifing each appender as FileAppender and its output to
diffrent files.
And I can also use the Threshold property to diffrentiate the output file.

But the problem is my debug.log will contain all the messages for DEBUG,INFO
and ERROR.
I just want all the DEBUG messages to be logged into debug.log.
Similarly info.log will contain messages for INFO and ERROR priorities only
as Thershold is set to INFO.
But I want to log only INFO messages into info.log not the messages with
ERROR priority.

If you need anyother info regarding my question, feel free to ask.

Thanks.
Nitin

Re: best to start with 1.1.3 or 1.2 ?

Posted by Yoav Shapira <sh...@mpi.com>.
Howdy,
Just for the record, I started using log4j with the current 1.2alpha,
and haven't had any problems.  This is with continuous heavy use
in production, several applications, nearly all the appender types,
some custom renderers, etc.  Performance has been great, too.

Yoav

Posted by Ceki Gulcu <ce...@yahoo.com>.
See

http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/docs/manual/manual.html