Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by ni...@closebutnocigar.co.uk on 2007/02/02 12:57:39 UTC

[users@httpd] X-Forwarded-For and default apache logging

Hi all,

Does apache automatically log the client IP address if the client goes
through a proxy that sends an X-Forwarded-For header?

If i set up a proxy for people, and do NOT want it to be anonymous, will
my proxy ip show up in other servers http-access logs?

If so, is there any indication of what % of webservers deal with
X-Forwarded-For logging (is it common practice to do so for larger
companies)?

Many thanks in advance,

- nick

Re: [users@httpd] X-Forwarded-For and default apache logging

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 2/2/07, Yu, Ming <Mi...@jhuapl.edu> wrote:
> Is there a way or a module for Apache to get the X-Forwarded-For header?

If you just want to see it in the logs, you can access it directly as
a request header.  If you want it to be used in place of the real IP
address for access control/etc, you can use something like
http://www.cotds.org/mod_extract_forwarded2/

Joshua.

RE: [users@httpd] X-Forwarded-For and default apache logging

Posted by "Yu, Ming" <Mi...@jhuapl.edu>.
Is there a way or a module for Apache to get the X-Forwarded-For header?

- Ming

> Does apache automatically log the client IP address if the client goes

> through a proxy that sends an X-Forwarded-For header?

No.  Doing so would allow trivial spoofing since the X-Forwarded-For
header is completely under the control of the client.

> If i set up a proxy for people, and do NOT want it to be anonymous,
> will my proxy ip show up in other servers http-access logs?

No.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] X-Forwarded-For and default apache logging

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.